1980 La Pavoni Eurobar [Finished] - Page 3

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
IamOiman (original poster)
Team HB

#21: Post by IamOiman (original poster) »

11) First hot test

I brought the Eurobar upstairs for its first heating cycle. I filled the boiler with 1 liter of water and had to tighten the level sight fittings as they leaked a little from not being tight enough. Once completed I turned on the machine for the first time and quickly approached boiling.

It did begin pressurizing and the pstat shutoff at 0.5 bar. I adjust the pstat by tightening the pstat set screw, which is very sensitive and I got to 1 bar after three full turns. There are three principle leaks to adjust: the upper sight glass pipe, the manometer pipe, and the hot water pipe. So far my brazes are holding. I am letting the machine cool down right now before I make any additional adjustments then will proceed eventually with a shot. I am keeping a close eye on leaks from the boiler gasket during this time.

-Ryan
Using a spice grinder violates the Geneva Convention
LMWDP #612

Team HB

#22: Post by IamOiman (original poster) »

12) Full test and first shots

Letting the machine cool down fully and just sit for a few hours, I tightened the leaking pipes and saw no leaks from the boiler gasket. I also glued the emblems back on, setting them with some weight to keep them flat against the panels. They are the same size, although I accidentally installed the one on the rear panel upside down that required taking out the emblem holder via two small tabs and reinstalling it in the correct orientation.

I had the machine on for 90 minutes before pulling my first shot, just to see if it would overheat and burn my shot. I was happily shown that is not the case. I used 10g of Saka Espresso bar (it's a small stock basket, my preferred elektra double basket is too deep to fit). It pulled quite fast due to a coarse grind but it was definitely drinkable. I had to lock in the pf pretty tightly, so I can't even imagine using a standard pf.

I was so impressed by the lack of issues I cleaned up the body panels and installed them. I might tighten the boiler bolts a little later but I think this Eurobar is pretty much buttoned up provided my brazes continue to hold.

It's a fun little machine. I will be playing with it more over time but this project is so far looking pretty close to finished.

-Ryan
LMWDP #612

drgary
Team HB

#23: Post by drgary »

Very fine and very orange, Ryan. Congratulations!
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

Team HB

#24: Post by IamOiman (original poster) »

13) more testing

I did some more shots today, this time I used the Malwani Livi and the grind setting for my President that is much finer in grind than what I used yesterday. It produced much better results with 10g of coffee use, and I could go even finer if desired or slightly increase the dose.

I also tried making a cappuccino, and I could froth the milk pretty easily. It just took longer than I am used to when using a commercial machine but the resulting product was nice a fluffly.

Here is a detail of the NEMA 6-15 plug I use and can go straight into an outlet without a transformer

I am quite intrigued by this machine, and will use it in the afternoon for a week or two after making shots with the President in the morning. If nothing serious pops up I am marking this project complete
-Ryan
LMWDP #612

Ajoystick
Supporter ♡

#25: Post by Ajoystick »

I'm quite jealous of the project. Just out of curiosity, have you thought about insulating the boiler like on the Olympia? Obviously there was no insulation on the tear down, but what would it hurt?
Maybe it could provide quicker warm up times, or provide more temp stability over the course of using the machine from shot to shot.

grog

#26: Post by grog »

Beautiful work as always Ryan!
LMWDP #514

Team HB

#27: Post by IamOiman (original poster) »

Ajoystick wrote:Just out of curiosity, have you thought about insulating the boiler like on the Olympia? Obviously there was no insulation on the tear down, but what would it hurt?
I just put towels on top of the cup tray when normally in use, primarily to warm up the cups. Insulation has been considered but I'm ok without it since it will not be on all day.
-Ryan
LMWDP #612