1974 Olympia Cremina - issues

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
chomergir

#1: Post by chomergir »

Hi, I just bought 1974 Cremina and I'm facing a few issues:

Technical:
1. the head gets really hot after a while (without flashing or anything)
2. seems there's a leak from the steam wand connection
3. seems that there's a leak in the screen (see image with and without portafilter)
4. the portafilter goes a lot more to lock than what I saw in other Creminas (I'm not using excessive force)

Functional:
5. how do you make a loungo (or a double loungo) - tried with the pumping that is showed in the manual (the espresso is really bad that way...)
6. when releasing the portafilter after making the coffee is like opening a soda bottle - it makes a pressure release sound and spray the coffee cake a bit.

nirdvorai
Supporter

#2: Post by nirdvorai »

Hi,

Congrats on the Cremina.

Generally speaking looks like the machine needs a full rebuild or at least take it apart and check every component- seals, gaskets, tubes, scale etc.
3 and 4 issues probably require a new portafilter gasket. And If you already there, you should at least check the piston seals and probably replace and lube then with Dow 111. You may also need to rebuild the steam valve.

After making the shot, you should wait 30sec. or bit more for the pressure to come down, after that you can safely release the portafilter. If you do it early you risking release the pressure on you which can cause you burns from the hot coffee and cover the machine with hot wet coffee grounds.

This forum is full of advise for full tear down and rebuild. You can also follow Doug's videos of how to fully rebuild the Cremina:

https://www.orphanespresso.com/OE-VIDEO ... 564-1.html

mikel

#3: Post by mikel »

What nirdvorai said.

My '82 Cremina had hardly been used, but they had left the portafilter, boiler cap, and steam valve cranked down. All the gaskets were stiff as a board and permanently in a compressed state. I'd guess the o-ring between the steam attachment and the boiler bar has lost its spring too.

A push on the group screen might pop it back into place if the ring on the group that it bites into isn't fouled.

chomergir

#4: Post by chomergir »

Hi, I got a 1974 cremina from ebay. it was working ok (except for the issues I posted couple of weeks earlier...) until today.
The machine was getting very hot very quickly, unfortunately I didn't install a thermometer yet but it was really hot to touch after less than 30 minutes from starting.
so, I decided to install a pressure gauge instead of the boiler cap.
I was astounded to see that the working pressure (that clicks the pressurestat) was 0.65bar. so I adjusted it to the 0.9bar recommendation.
after that no water were coming from the group head. even after a few hours cool down and restarting the machine.
initially I thought it was for the group overheating (it sometimes happens in my Cimbali Junior) but even when the group head was relatively cold it happens.
any ideas what's going on? is the group clogged?
planing to disassemble it tomorrow.

mgwolf

#5: Post by mgwolf »

Hi Omer,
Regarding your coffee splatter when you open the PF, just raise the lever 1/3 of the way up before you open the PF. This will relieve the pressure at the puck and it will not spray you.

mgwolf

#6: Post by mgwolf »

Also, you may know this already, but Orphan Espresso has a complete series of videos showing how to overall everything in the Cremina, such as your steam gasket, piston seals, etc.

Sw1ssdude

#7: Post by Sw1ssdude »

Be careful when you rebuild the steam tap:
The back side is a hollow bored brass thread, torquing it down might lead to it braking off. all my cremina taps i have seen had clear signs of being twisted by torquing them down.

there is an o-ring going between the front panel and the tap mount, i guess that one is the one who causes the steam leak. the other gasket is a rubber filled copper crush washer. there is no point of loosing the cap nut and retorquing, as it will never ever again seat properly, until you tackle it with tons of torque, but this might be the end for your thread, so...

best would be to get a complete gasket kit, and redo the whole machine. its not complicated at all, and very satisfying. not only the coffee, but also the 'did it myself'-boost-of-confidence.

for the group gasket, i use 1mm silicone shims which i cut on my lasercutter, so that the handle stops at '4 or 5 o'clock',
i could send you some, but i guess handing over a case of beer to the laser plotter guy of your choice near you will get you just as far...
Lean Mean Caffeine Machine

jacob.kole
Supporter

#8: Post by jacob.kole »

The head will get hot and doesn't really indicate something is wrong. Without a gasket between it and the boiler it will stabilize above ideal brewing temp.

Otherwise, I'd agree you should probably look into replacing gasket and do a rebuild. It is a fun little project for sure.

chomergir

#9: Post by chomergir »

not looking for a full rebuilt at the moment unless I must, since parts are pretty hard to come buy where I live (and unfortunately, OE don't offer the full rebuilt kit any more...)

the main issue is that the machine is currently NOT useable, since no water is coming from the head no matter what (wether the machine is hot or cold and no matter what pressure), it just has a little drizzle and hissing of air (I think ?) ...!

anyone has witnessed this?

RobAnybody

#10: Post by RobAnybody »

chomergir wrote:not looking for a full rebuilt at the moment unless I must, since parts are pretty hard to come buy where I live (and unfortunately, OE don't offer the full rebuilt kit any more...)
Have you tried here?:
https://olympia-kaffeemaschinen.ch/prod ... e-olympia/
You may have to brush up on German, but Migg has all the parts you'll need to keep her running.
He may also have some more insight in the problems you're having (since he also does repairs).
chomergir wrote:the main issue is that the machine is currently NOT useable, since no water is coming from the head no matter what (wether the machine is hot or cold and no matter what pressure), it just has a little drizzle and hissing of air (I think ?) ...!
It could be the drawtube is clogged by scale, it's weird indeed that it would only play up after you increased the boiler pressure.
Have you tried setting the pressure back?
The other option is that the showerscreen is very dirty on the inside. (Small grounds, coffee oils etc)
Anyhow, you'll probably have to do a bit of an overhaul to het her functioning nicely again.
Cheers,
Rob
LMWDP #647