1962 Faema Urania Refurb [Finished] - Page 6

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
ira
Team HB

#51: Post by ira »

The heat signature of those failing connectors would seem to imply a defective crimp.

IamOiman (original poster)
Team HB

#52: Post by IamOiman (original poster) »

Certainly a possibility, it would just be surprising to me as it would be my first failure of the scores of crimps made
-Ryan
Using a spice grinder violates the Geneva Convention
LMWDP #612

ira
Team HB

#53: Post by ira »

That's where the heat is, that's the failure point.

If you want to crimp a couple of connectors and send them to me, I will section, polish and etch the crimps and post pictures. I just happen to own the machine for doing that.

Team HB

#54: Post by IamOiman (original poster) »

I might take you up on the offer, sounds interesting.

The machine this morning turned on, and I did spot feeling around the replaced terminals right after reaching operating pressure (the longest time the circuit is closed/on). So far no hot spots have been identified, but I'll keep my eye out.
-Ryan
LMWDP #612

jwCrema
Supporter ❤

#55: Post by jwCrema »

ira wrote:The heat signature of those failing connectors would seem to imply a defective crimp.
Not hijacking the thread about this wonderful refurb, but here we are with the same heat issue I had on my Club wiring. After my last post almost every connector eventually failed. The resistance of the Home Depot connectors generated so much heat the plastic holding the on/off light melted as well.

Once I replaced all connectors whose temp ratings matched the oven wire you suggested everything has been perfect - it generates significantly less heat on the counter.

Filletfellini
Supporter

#56: Post by Filletfellini »

Absolutely gorgeous machine.

dmccallum

#57: Post by dmccallum »

Nice machine and great restoration. That glass artwork is classic.
I'm a former Piero buyer myself. A 60Kg machine (the Gaggia on my avatar) was shipped in much the same wooden create, and it arrived it has to be said with some good fortune in one piece.
Good luck with it.

Team HB

#58: Post by IamOiman (original poster) »

The electrical connectors seem to have held up for over two months since I replaced them. Yesterday I decided to switch out the Urania for a different machine (the Bosco). The piston seals still look decent, so I cleaned them up along with the group bore and showerscreen (which was way less clogged than the stock screens btw) and relubed them. After drawing a lot of water as it was cooling down, I drained the remaining water in the boiler with my syphon tube. To do this, I access the boiler via the vacuum valve/cross fitting on top.

The drain valve needed some cleaning too, as it was almost fully blocked with coffee goo that I did not notice until now. Going forward I will need to be more vigilent and check this more frequently.
-Ryan
LMWDP #612
★ Helpful