1962 Faema Urania Refurb [Finished] - Page 5

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
toots

#41: Post by toots »

A big congratulations for the very nice restauration! Whaw you sure did a great effort in building up that machine to its former glory. In my early career (2000-2010) i used to work for faema. I never had a lever machine repair as they ran out of fashion. I did the full automatic machines x5, x3, x53 and ofcourse the normal hx with electronic counter. The X3 (cimbali M3) did a good job in trying to come close to your machine, but theres nothing but the real originale. Very nice! Congratulations!

IamOiman (original poster)
Team HB

#42: Post by IamOiman (original poster) »

Thanks Dirk.

I came back to this guy for the last thing missing from the project, and that is replacing the neon light. The original one was burned out and damaged so I was able to convince Paul Pratt that I would not fry myself and sell me two of his neon lights, one yellow and one red. The latter one will be for the Marte if I get around to that. I got a 5Kv 30mA transformer from Tech 22, model Gen3-5K30. With shipping the transformer was about $63, not much more than the cheapies I found on Amazon but probably of considerably higher quality.

Before installing the light I took off the brackets and glass supports and cleaned up the back panel + brackets. Originally the light was directly wired via two clips and a mounting screw on each bracket. With high voltage involved that seemed a little sus so for the new light I also purchased some Tecnolux boots to make sure no wiring was exposed.

I installed the little transformer via an L bracket to one of the glass panel supports. There is a ground cable that is also placed on the mounting bracket and has a little spade terminal connector installed. Tech 22 is nice in that they answered my technical questions quickly, and confirmed with them that as I installed the equipment it will be safe electrical-wise and will run without issue in the warmer environment near the boiler (everything at minimum is rated for 105C working temp). The boots ensure that no metal contact occurs with the high voltage circuit. Turning on the light with the glass panel installed was a pretty cool thing to see.

My only comment is maybe I could have selected a slightly higher current transformer but it looks pretty good as is to be honest. 40 and 50 mA transformers would have to be custom ordered and I decided just to try 30 mA to err on the safe side. With this last big step done and testing it for a few months now I am marking this project as finished.

-Ryan
Using a spice grinder violates the Geneva Convention
LMWDP #612

Marcelnl
Supporter ♡

#43: Post by Marcelnl »

looks great!

Was the gold trim looking as pristine as it does now or did you use some trick to revamp it? Mine has some pitting and corrosion spots I can live with yet at the same time...when I can upgrade the looks I might.
LMWDP #483

IamOiman (original poster)
Team HB

#44: Post by IamOiman (original poster) »

I didn't touch it, I left it as is so what you see is all original
-Ryan
Using a spice grinder violates the Geneva Convention
LMWDP #612

Marcelnl
Supporter ♡

#45: Post by Marcelnl replying to IamOiman »

WOW, amazing condition!