1960 Faema President out of storage

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Piperjoe

#1: Post by Piperjoe »

Hey guys,

After a few years of not using the President I decided to put it back on the counter and put it to use now that i have so e spare time. I fired it up and it started to build pressure fairly quickly which was a good sign. As the manometer was rising the right side group head was dripping water, i would say it leaked a good half litre of water until a certain point as the machine heated up it stopped leaking. Any suggestions? Possibly adding some grease to the lever mechanism and seals?

Also once it was at temperature the stem valve was also leaking, releasing steam at a low pace but steady. I have tried to purge the steam by working the valve both ways, letting it build pressure and releasing again with no luck. Over the past two weeks i have tried using the machine on a daily basis to see if it would clear up but it hasn't. I decide to remove the steam valve and disassemble and clean with the expectation of rust inside. I cleaned as best i could and reassembled. Before I install should i add some grease on the moving parts? Are replacement parts available for the steam valve? Also need to replace my group head lower shower head gasket, any how to videos on this? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Here are some pictures.

IamOiman

#2: Post by IamOiman »

Your 2-way valve looks like it could take the same gaskets seen on the water inlet for the second series President like mine. To be certain you would either need to try the gaskets and buy them or measure them and see what the sizes are. Here is my inlet valve which looks like yours in size but one way and a slightly different pin in the middle. I attached a diagram of it as well. I also see you use a copper gasket. Those can get hard over time and you cannot really easily adjust them once compressed. It may need replacing.
-Ryan
Using a spice grinder violates the Geneva Convention
LMWDP #612

Bluecold
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by Bluecold »

Faema was quite fond of square section round gaskets back then. As far as I can tell, there is one size which fits around shafts to seal the shaft (f85 in iamoimans diagram), and a smaller size which is used as a sealing surface in valves (f137).

They're both available and cheap, I get them from brooks. The bigger ones need some lubrication (dow111 or similar) as the valve shaft rotates in it, the smaller ones don't need lubrication, but it can help to apply a thin film to help seat them in position.

The copper crush washer looks automotive. You can source teflon gaskets, and in a pinch you can use thread sealant such as loctite 55.

You'll want to disassemble the valve rod assembly to lubricate the 'f85' gaskets, so that the control rod can find its zero point. However, it does look like you're missing a nut which compresses the spring to keep these gaskets in place. See pictures of the same valve on an Urania here:
Faema Urania steam switch, needs some TLC
LMWDP #232
"Though I Fly Through the Valley of Death I Shall Fear No Evil For I am at 80,000 Feet and Climbing."

Piperjoe

#4: Post by Piperjoe »

Hey guys, If i am understanding this correctly, f85 is a rubber seal that is placed between the bushing and the brass bushing attached to the valve? And the same goes for the smaller bushings that are attached the the spring? I have attached photos better understand. As you can see in the photo the bushing comes off the brass bushing attached to the valve mechanism.Image

Bluecold
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by Bluecold »

Not quite, f85 goes around the shaft. You'd need to remove the bakelite knob and push out the shaft from the body to see them. These seals are compressed to ensure a seal by the spring currently pushing against the bakelite knob. In the Urania valve thread, you can see this spring being contained by a nut.

In your 2nd photo, the triangular section screws off to reveal a 'f137' type flat gasket. You can remove the old gasket with a wood screw (this also applies for your portafilter gasket)
LMWDP #232
"Though I Fly Through the Valley of Death I Shall Fear No Evil For I am at 80,000 Feet and Climbing."

Piperjoe

#6: Post by Piperjoe »

Great explanation, I understand now the location of the seals. A question regarding the first picture , is the metal bushing suppose to come off the brass bushing on the shaft easily or is it to have a pressure fit?
Thanks Bluecold and iamoimans ...

Marcelnl
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by Marcelnl »

I assume, expect none of the seals in that valve have a press fit. Cleaning and lubing them up should be enough to convince them to settle.

Replacement parts are available for the steam valve, unless you need the longer head nut (I bought the last in stock, so I hope you find a supplier should you need one). I found lubing up does not do a lot, as the key parts are metal on metal and hot steam is a sure good way to remove any grease. However I'd use some silicone on the rubber or viton parts for good measure.

seal F74 may be the root cause of your steam leak, on my machine that seal ad shriveled to tiny surface barely sealing once I had restored steam flow by replacing the head nut f77 by the longer version.
LMWDP #483

Piperjoe

#8: Post by Piperjoe »

I had a closer look at the e74 seal and it looks in pretty bad shape, i am going to unscrew the brass triangle from the seal to clean it up. I also sent out a few emails to various suppliers hoping to find the parts needed so i can reassemble the valve and try it out.
Thanks for the advise.

Marcelnl
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by Marcelnl »

I found mine in Austria, after a long search. just let me know if you need any help, hope you find parts a little closer!
LMWDP #483

Piperjoe

#10: Post by Piperjoe »

Well still hunting the parts down for the steam valve, i have found a few suppliers in the USA which may have the parts needed to rebuild the valve, should know within the next couple days. A few other pieces which i am trying to find to put my President to original state are the steam wands which extend out a lot further than the existing ones i have on. Also the water inlet valve apparently it is to have a lever style with a black knob instead of the round knob,and the manometro that my machine has is also different from the one i seen on another 1960 President that was recently restored.. any suggestions? I have attached a picture of the recently restored 1960 President which had a production date of Nov 1960, mine has a date of Sept 1960 so I don't think it would have changed that much in a few months. Image