1952 Gaggia Spagna Never Used - Page 3

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
cafebmw
Supporter ♡

#21: Post by cafebmw »

there should be the date stamped on the boiler rim. i don't think it's a 52', rather from around 1954.
it was sold also as model esportiazone.
you didn't show the front side of the machine yet. the panel is engine turned. if you consider to re-chrome it, the engine turning pattern will be starkly diminished or disappears.

drgary
Team HB

#22: Post by drgary »

Janet and I visited Oliver's cafe right after it opened. His restored Gaggia was incredible. Here's that thread, with photos.

New san francisco cafe with lever machine
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

TomC
Team HB

#23: Post by TomC »

drgary wrote:Janet and I visited Oliver's cafe right after it opened. His restored Gaggia was incredible. Here's that thread, with photos, including this photo of him standing proudly next to his restoration.

New san francisco cafe with lever machine

+1

Can you imagine living in that neighborhood and being able to swing by each morning for coffee/espresso from such a beauty? I'm glad I got to see it in action, but saddened to see that it's no longer in business. Oliver is such a gem to the bay area espresso community! Thank you Oliver!
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

DJF (original poster)

#24: Post by DJF (original poster) »

Wow! Just wow! Thanks for posting and I've saved the images. That is one spectacular machine. I've never seen a three group other than in my 'ESPRESSO' book. I'm really looking forward to getting the frame back this week so I can start assembling. The vendor sent me the original portafilters so that's another bonus.
"24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I don't think so."

DJF (original poster)

#25: Post by DJF (original poster) »

I'm curious about that little disc above the gauge fitting which I'm missing. Is that like the thing on my E61 I asked about some time ago? Turned out it was taxation/duty device for export.

DJF (original poster)

#26: Post by DJF (original poster) »

cafebmw wrote:there should be the date stamped on the boiler rim. i don't think it's a 52', rather from around 1954.
you didn't show the front side of the machine yet. the panel is engine turned. if you consider to re-chrome it, the engine turning pattern will be starkly diminished or disappears.
I can't find a date stamp on the boiler, only that 'IMU'. I'm not touching anything unless absolutely necessary. All the chrome is basically as it left the factory except for the handles where the chrome had rusted a little. All the panels will stay mint and unmolested including the front panel.

DJF (original poster)

#27: Post by DJF (original poster) »

cafebmw wrote:there should be the date stamped on the boiler rim. i don't think it's a 52', rather from around 1954.
The front showing the engine turning. I can see why that finish would be destroyed if rechromed. Cripes, what a disaster if that happened! Basically mint and staying that way hopefully for at least another 68/70 years. I'd love to date it but there is no date stamp on the boiler, only the 'I-M-U' stamp which is on every component. It's going to drive me nutso until I find out what that means.

turriga

#28: Post by turriga »

Yes, you could use the lead weight, but you need additional- a Pressostat (vintage Mercury switch or a modern one) to start and stop the heating prozess in a difine range (for example from 0,8 up to 1,1 bar), makes it much more comfortable and save. A the beginnig of the coffee brewer and first lever machines (without such a Presso) it was just the responibility of the barista alone (with his eyes and ears) to controll that by refilling cold water into the boiler to lower the temperatur and therefore the pressure. And here again you are lucky to be able to use the existing, free connection sockets on the boiler without having to change anything about the origional substance.

DJF (original poster)

#29: Post by DJF (original poster) »

Wanted help needed. First stage of reassembly complete! Boiler is back in the freshly powder coated frame but I'm stalled at the moment because I need some bits for the valve assemblies.

I need at least three gasket holders and lock-nuts as in the pic but three should get me thru. Apparently there were different sizes and threads but the holders I need must measure OD 16mm to 16.5 maximum. I suspect what's happened in the early decades some valve assemblies have been swapped out for working machines but who knows.

It was suggested to use new Astoria assemblies but they are way too big.

Yoombe

#30: Post by Yoombe »

love your thread....
I recently had to change the gasket holders on a Gaggia Classica as well, interestingly they had been made in steel and where all
rusted. I confirm the diameter is 16.9 mm and the shaft is 8.3 mm. I had short ones and long ones on the machine. They fitted as well on a
Gaggia Spagna so it seems that they used a standard.
★ Helpful