1952 Gaggia Spagna Never Used - Page 2

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
drgary
Team HB

#11: Post by drgary »

Since your find is so rare, including original paint mostly intact, have you considered any other ways to preserve it or at least a patch of it for collectibility? (I'm thinking of something like a flat clear coat after cleaning up the rust.)
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

DJF (original poster)

#12: Post by DJF (original poster) »

Thanks Doc, I have thought about it. I've actually been a little conflicted as to how to approach recommissioning the machine. As it's missing the original end plate I'm using an early America boiler plate with remanufactured elements with bigger flanges so the machine really won't be in the bracket of collectible original.

What I've decided is to just wash the boiler and chrome bits, reco valve components and wire it up. The frame I'll probably do as you suggest but I'm not sure yet. Will post a pic and see what you think :-)
"24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I don't think so."

Advertisement
DJF (original poster)

#13: Post by DJF (original poster) »

I'm curious what this means. The letters 'I M U' are stamped on every single component including on a little brass plate screwed to the frame. Relevant to at least 1952 or before I guess. Something Milan something? Probably obvious and I'm missing it.

I don't know why the vendor of my machine said it was 1952 so I assume it was just 'circa'. From a little googling I think it is earlier, like 1950.

turriga

#14: Post by turriga »

Powdercoating? :? No way, would be a crime!

pcdawson

#15: Post by pcdawson »

What a beautiful machine - truly incredible find! When you pull the lever, do you travel back to 1959?

DJF (original poster)

#16: Post by DJF (original poster) »

Yes! I can actually understand how a barista in the early 50's might be excited about his new GAGGIA. Those groups are lovely in new condition and I can't wait to pull my first shot.

I washed the boiler in soap and water yesterday and it looks like it is straight out of the factory.

IamOiman
Team HB

#17: Post by IamOiman »

looks like you can sneak a p-stat of some sort and a vacuum valve with those capped off fittings!
-Ryan
Using a spice grinder violates the Geneva Convention
LMWDP #612

Advertisement
DJF (original poster)

#18: Post by DJF (original poster) »

Yes they are standard threads. It has the original lead weight anti-vac device. I've heard they work quite well and are only prone to issues if scale gets in there. Should I try it?

cedar

#19: Post by cedar »

It is cool to see an early Gaggia boiler in factory condition.

cafebmw
Supporter ♡

#20: Post by cafebmw »

this is just awesome!!!
i had exactly the same model but a 3 group. mine though was in poor condition and i had to completely restore it.
i then used it in my espresso bar for a year until i closed business.
check it out here https://ironandsteamespresso.blogspot.com