Your favorite gear of 2018

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
Ric858

Postby Ric858 » Jan 01, 2019, 8:19 pm

Being a gear junkie and with a new year upon us I thought it might be fun to take a look back at some of our favorite gear of 2018. I had several small acquisitions, but by far my favorite has been my new Kafatek Levtamp Tamper. I wasn't able to produce consistent results with my previous conventional and fixed depth tampers, so using this one has been a game changer for me. It's made tamping for me effortless and repeatable.

I'd love to hear about the new coffee gear you guys are loving both big and small. Share some pics.

"Coffee is the lifeblood that fuels the dreams of champions."

tyfabes

Postby tyfabes » Jan 01, 2019, 10:20 pm

My wife bought me a Stagg EKG for Christmas. I've used it every day for the last week. Definitely beats my old electric kettle.

Balthazar_B

Postby Balthazar_B » Jan 01, 2019, 10:33 pm

The Cafelat Robot, of course. It's as simple a machine as can be designed by someone who probably knows as much about lever machines as anyone on the planet.

Tyfabes, I'm eyeing a Stagg EKG as perhaps the nicest accompaniment to the Robot one could have, other than an awesome grinder.
- John

LMWDP # 577

jchung

Postby jchung » Jan 01, 2019, 11:06 pm

I will warily say the Niche Zero. But then its about the only new gear I've gotten this year. Other than the stuff I've made myself.

tyfabes

Postby tyfabes » Jan 01, 2019, 11:48 pm

Balthazar_B wrote:The Cafelat Robot, of course. It's as simple a machine as can be designed by someone who probably knows as much about lever machines as anyone on the planet.

A friend of mine got a Cafelat Robot for a Christmas gift, as well. Haven't heard any reviews yet from him, I think he's still figuring out his Behmor before pulling any shots. :D

MB

Postby MB » Jan 02, 2019, 5:10 am

The Robot has been an eye opener taking me back to some of the rare God shots I pulled on my La Pavoni Europiccola. I am embarrassed to admit that I mentally dismissed the Robot as an unlikely capable machine when it was first announced. "It doesn't even heat water? I don't need another gadget." But seeing the quality lured me in, just to own an example. Then the world changed when I put coffee in the thing. Definitely my favorite gear for 2018.

LMWDP #472

michael

Postby michael » Jan 02, 2019, 4:28 pm

SSP burrs for the monolith flat 8)

Ric858

Postby Ric858 » replying to michael » Jan 02, 2019, 5:40 pm

Nice! I would've listed my mflat w/ ssp, but it's still a month away. I'm looking forward to it topping my 2019 list!
"Coffee is the lifeblood that fuels the dreams of champions."

michael

Postby michael » Jan 02, 2019, 5:44 pm

Also like the Levtamp and the acacia lunar but those were last year 8)

yakster

Postby yakster » Jan 02, 2019, 9:36 pm

My Cafelat Robot. I don't really remember buying anything else noteworthy in 2018.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272