Your favorite gear of 2018 - Page 4

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
Balthazar_B

#31: Post by Balthazar_B »

weebit_nutty wrote:Great thread. I have a thing for coffee gadgets. How portable is the robot? Still looking for legit espresso on-the-go. Considering thd solid construction, it looks like one can just rinse the unit under a stream of boiled water in the sink before pulling the shot.
It's heavy but not huge, so it comes down to your circumstances and definition of portable. Not sure what you mean by rinsing it under boiled water in the sink...just preheating the portafilter should be all that's required for most coffees. More info available in the Cafelat Robot User Experience thread in the Levers forum.
- John

LMWDP # 577

guydebord

#32: Post by guydebord »

1. The new Eureka Mignon's, I am in love with the capabilities of the Specialità. After owning and trying other grinders in the price range $700-$1200 Im confident I made the right decision for my needs.

2. The Mahlgut Buzzer full Stainless Steel tamper with nano coating. I just love the weight and feel of it, more than 1kg of German precision. I was not sure about spending this much on a tamper, especially seeing so many $20 dollar knockoffs with seemingly similar functionality, but after seeing it and using it, Im glad I did.

3. Im not sure if it came out in 2018, but the Londinium distribution tool has made a measurable difference in my shots.
In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

michael

#33: Post by michael replying to guydebord »

How much is shipping to the us for the distribution tool 8)

guydebord

#34: Post by guydebord replying to michael »

Sh*t! I paid $64.70!!! I know its a lot, shipping was $24.88. The tool is really well made but the most important thing is that I haven't had a single spit of coffee from my naked pf, the results are outstanding.
In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Bret

#35: Post by Bret »

rimblas wrote:By far, the Decent Espresso machines!
2018 was the year the DE shipped and for some of us espresso became something amazing and fun.
Nice set up! Where did you get the wall mount portafilter holder? I need a couple or three of those! I've never seen them anywhere, yours is the first one I have seen.

rimblas

#36: Post by rimblas replying to Bret »

Thanks!
That was also a 2018 item. It's the PortaKeeper and it works really well, I'm happy with it.
Got it here:
https://www.etsy.com/shop/gbtactical

Bret

#37: Post by Bret »

Thanks! Order placed :-)

trunks235

#38: Post by trunks235 »

tglodjo wrote: 3. Specht Design Wood Accents for LMLM. I love how Dan at Specht customizes the steam and hot water knobs to mimic look and feel of the OEM ones, but in wood. I wanted something different than the Pantechnicon customs available in the US, and I don't regret outsourcing this order to Australia. The customs are beautiful and feel great. Dan was also great to work with for customizing the order (e.g. I wanted to use the white OEM insert for the knob instead of the metal one Dan makes.
Looks great! Did you have to ship the whole machine for this? If not, was shipping the parts to USA very pricey?

tglodjo

#39: Post by tglodjo replying to trunks235 »

No. Dan at Specht makes stuff for LMs all the time. The pieces are pretty standard. He made them to order and shipped the group cover and knobs. Shipping cost wasn't that bad. It was a set 50AUD if I remember correctly.

Headala

#40: Post by Headala »

Decent Espresso DE1+