Your Coffee Your Images - Page 4

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
mdmvrockford

#31: Post by mdmvrockford »

LBIespresso, thanks!
LMWDP #568

TomC
Team HB

#32: Post by TomC »

mdmvrockford wrote:
@ CarefreeBuzzBuzz and @TomC : I search home-barista.com and this appears to be only photography thread. Is there prior one I missed? I realize this is an espresso forum. But given @TomC is amateur photographer and one of HB moderators perhaps we can have one this one coffee photography thread expand on HB.

I'm not quite sure of your question. But feel free to share anything coffee photography related here. I did start a separate thread on anything made of wood used for espresso/coffee making a few years back, but that wasn't really focused on quality images.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

mdmvrockford

#33: Post by mdmvrockford »

TomC wrote: I'm not quite sure of your question. But feel free to share anything coffee photography related here. I did start a separate thread on anything made of wood used for espresso/coffee making a few years back, but that wasn't really focused on quality images.
TomC, not so much question but just a comment. Hopefully there will be for long time coffee photography exchange in this thread.
LMWDP #568

TomC
Team HB

#34: Post by TomC »

A tripod would have made for better depth of field on this shot, but I wanted to show of David Stephens' (CannonFodder) woodwork on my DE1PRO alongside my great brewing gear. An original, great condition Ratio Eight Coffee Brewer, and my Titus Espresso coffee grinder.

mdmvrockford

#35: Post by mdmvrockford replying to TomC »

Just curious,
What camera you are using?
What were camera settings of the posted photograph?

I ask because I notice free hand photography with cellphone has more shake vs. freehand photography with DSLR body and lens. My son owns latter. Variety of reasons for this. Though I have not made comparison again since last week when I got smartphone aluminum tripod mount and tripod baseplate. Now I can get much better grip of smartphone with this combination and use voice activated shutter. Side benefit is this combination serves as nice tabletop smartphone stand.

I ask camera settings because as you mention the depth of field is very narrow. E.g. harder to tell that is a Titus vs. Versalab grinder and Ratio 8 are in the background. Coffee hobbyist want to see in detail every tool in frame:( I really like the warm inviting color temperatures. And I really like how photograph draws eyes to just the beautiful woodwork. And that was your intention. I ask for camera settings as I like composition and have non-coffee scenarios where I would like to do same.
LMWDP #568

TomC
Team HB

#36: Post by TomC »

This in from my old Canon 5Dmk2 with a 100mm 2.8L Macro lens. Lots of added small portable lights, with ETTL +2/3 flash. 5.0,iso 1000 shutter speed 125. I didn't spend much time at all in post. The white balance could still stand to be tweaked, the black case on the DE1PRO looks bluish.

I wanted the warmth of the cocobolo handles to pop against the blue cup and gold spoons in the background.

mdmvrockford

#37: Post by mdmvrockford »

@TomC,
Thanks!
LMWDP #568

mdmvrockford

#38: Post by mdmvrockford »

Here is a photograph from the "B-roll."

Helor siblings (big and small)

Photograph specifics
Camera: Samsung Galaxy S20 5G mounted on tripod, F1.8, 1 second, 5.40mm, ISO 125. automatic white balance, no flash.
Lighting: Key light is tabletop lamp with 100 watt equivalent LED bulb (5000K with CRI90) placed on floor, side light LED 6000K 100% brightness setting . Light modifiers: cardstock and foamcore boards (matte black and matte white).
LMWDP #568

mdmvrockford

#39: Post by mdmvrockford »

The thread paperclip or not for Weiss Distribution Technique (WDT) got me rethinking my own WDT. Convince me why I shouldn't use paperclip for WDT

My original WDT tool is a well-worn #2 wood pencil with sewing needle attached via clear tape (>8 years old). Sewing needle is cleaned with >70% isopropyl alcohol every few weeks. Since reading that other HB thread, it really got me thinking how inefficient my original WDT technique was. Hence a thicker wine cork and three doll needles (from Joann Fabrics; pack of 6 is < $4 IIRC).

Photograph specifics:
camera: Samsung Galaxy S20 5G mounted on tripod for overhead view
camera settings: F1.8, 1/8 seconds, ISO 200, 5.40mm, white balance 4100K
lighting: all artificial LED set at 5000K (all rated >90CRI)
modifiers: diffusion screen & black cardstock

I think some of my composition lines are too obvious (e.g. beans at 3 o'clock position). Non-adjustable aperture is frustrating.

Non-sequitur:
Ronco Calino Franciacorta Brut Saten is an Italian sparkling chardonnay (prior I never knew such combination existed). It pairs perfectly with authentic pad Thai. My neighbor (boutique wine importer) brought it for dinner I was cooking & hosting.
LMWDP #568

Codyjphoto

#40: Post by Codyjphoto »

I think I used a Canon 180mm macro for this.
Once more into the fray