World Coffee Championships Announce Rules Changes for 2023

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
SteveRhinehart

#1: Post by SteveRhinehart »

https://sca.coffee/sca-news/announcing- ... gulations
There are some rather large changes coming to the structure and scoring of multiple competitions beginning this year. Some of the most notable include new rules allowing nondairy and non-cow milk for the barista championship, along with adjustable brewing temperature for competitors. The Brewers Cup will have a format change to adjust how the compulsory round is incorporated, and also adjusts rules to "decouple" from the SCA cupping form.

This year also introduced new sponsored equipment which will carry to 2023 - the Astoria Storm/Tempesta is the new sponsored espresso machine, and the Nuova Simonelli MY75 is the sponsored espresso grinder.

Quick links to the summaries of rules changes:
Barista Rules Changes 2023 (PDF)
Brewers Rules Changes 2023 (PDF)

Shakespeare
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by Shakespeare »

SteveRhinehart wrote:"" Some of the most notable include new rules allowing nondairy and non-cow milk for the barista championship'"[/url]
I have great respect for Steve Rhinehart and his knowledge and experience in all facets of coffee and the industry. Including the terrific documentary that was produced..

So, I'm hesitant to share my point of view that being one that is not so conciliatory.
But, these changes if I understand them are just a little to much.
Please understand, I'm only pointing out my concerns regarding the changes made in the milk beverage part.

In the milk beverage course: the rules changes will allow:
" The milk beverage course can now be prepared using plant-based or other animals' milk. "

I hope, again there might be rule changes to evaluate the use of flavor profiles using non-cow milk products...

There are many differences in their non milk types and flavor profiles that might influence the outcome of what the judges will taste.
How with each different non-milk addition be characterized so the final product can be fairly judged as a coffee/milk creations.??

Now, let's consider another change in the rules ...use of other 'Animal milk products' That is a huge door that will be opened.
What animal milk is acceptable and can be used? There is more than just Cow and Goats milk that is available or can be used according to the new rules. Why not whales milk... 50% fat.
And what percentage of fat is allowed to be used? And the inclusion of various animal milk flavor and textures.

With cows milk, there is just a single additive to the coffee profile.. Now we will have many non milk and more animal milk products.
What next vanilla flavored products and then maybe m & m's or a Reese's cappuccino.
Would be interesting maybe for a local Barista championship but this is the '' 2023 World Barista Championship (WBC) in Athen, Greece.''
And rule changes should be considered carefully.
If you have questions about these rule changes please contact. info@worldcoffeeevents.org

This is part of the rules that should be followed in the present Barista champ.
How is this possible with the upcoming changes in milk products that will be included?

""The milk beverage is a beverage consisting of 1
espresso and steamed milk served at a
temperature that is immediately consumable.
The texture and temperature of the beverage,
and the taste of the coffee and milk will be
included in the taste experience evaluation. The
milk beverage should have a harmonious
balance of the sweetness of the milk and its
espresso base. The taste profile (flavor and
aftertaste) of the beverage served should
support specialty coffee, with a balance created
by the addition of milk""