Why is everyone looking for fruits in coffee?

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
Espressoman007

#1: Post by Espressoman007 »

Hi,
what happened to coffee, is it not good as it used to be, doesn't it smell as good as it used to smell, and its taste, isn't it special enough? I can keep going on and on but I guess I've made the point.

I love how coffee smells I love its unique taste, I love everything what distinguishes coffee from anything else. Then why that quest for fruits in coffee?

I get it, it can be nice, and sometimes it is for me as well, but not all the time. I want coffee, not fruits when I drink coffee. I can have a cake with coffee, a fruit cake, perhaps better not at the same time, a bit later, so I can taste and enjoy the coffee.

It's like that new thing with lemony or orangey beer, thanks but no thanks for me, I like beer, Belgium beers, hundreds of different beer tastes, but please without fruits inside.
All these graphs, that create with lines some kind of nets, and numbers inside, going down and up and going steady and wild looking for bombs of strawberries and blueberry and all kind of berries!

I want a good quality deep, bold, strong, heavy and distinct espresso, which smells wonderful and tastes like coffee, yes, please!

Cheers!

espressotime

#2: Post by espressotime »

Buy that man a beer.
Coffee is a taste on its own. Coffee is supposed to taste like coffee. Not ananas. If I want to taste an ananas I'll buy an ananas.

another_jim
Team HB

#3: Post by another_jim »

It's the wine thing -- a wine that "tastes like wine" is never going to sell; it has to be cassis, blackberries, etc. etc. Now it's hard to tell from the descriptors whether it's wine or coffee.

I'm guessing we are due for a return, not so much because coffee is supposed to taste like coffee; but coffee is certainly not supposed to taste like deep fried muscadet, which is what most 3rd wave coffee tastes like now.
Jim Schulman

LVD
Supporter

#4: Post by LVD »

I don't even like actual citrus fruits or overly sweet fruits, and certainly don't want those tastes to dominate my coffee. So I'm with you all. We're definitely not the only ones out there.

Randy G.

#5: Post by Randy G. »

Why do people go out, find an animal, kill it, then eat it, sometimes without even cooking it? To each, their own. Personally, I enjoy an espresso with a nice citrus note. Not as an every day thing, but variety is one of the wonderful things about coffee.
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

splashalot

#6: Post by splashalot »

Count me in. I like my coffee to taste like.....coffee.

I drink mostly medium to darker roasts for traditional flavours. Occasionally I'll buy a bag of fruit-driven, lighter roast and crank up the brew temp to 96c, just for the novelty. By the end of the bag I'm longing for.....coffee.

But in all seriousness, choice is good for those who want something different. As long as I can still have a reasonable selection of traditional darker roast coffees, I'm happy.

EddyQ

#7: Post by EddyQ »

Randy G. wrote:variety is one of the wonderful things about coffee.
This.

I like light through dark coffees. Some have fruit, some sugar sweetness, others nutty, then there are chocolate bombs and earthy high body flavor brews. All good.

But IMO, the bright fruity coffees are more challenging to get right. Roasting and brewing. When you get everything right, they can be an eye opener!
LMWDP #671

jpender

#8: Post by jpender »

Coffee is a fruit.
★ Helpful

jevenator

#9: Post by jevenator »

The way you are raised, culture, tradition, some genetic component as well, and I'm sure many more factors all play in flavor preferences.

Fruit in coffee is what particularly first introduced me to specialty coffee from many many years of drinking Starbucks syrup drinks & Costco grocery beans in my parents super-auto machine.

I realized that coffee actually has a flavor that is not bitter or burnt and the fact that I can taste blueberry or cherry amazed me and which is why I loved "looking for fruits in coffee"

I've heard many times the talks about beer here in San Diego where apparently we have breweries on every street. I never drank beer. If I do and I start with "new modern, bright beer" because someone tells me this is good beer, I most likely will believe it and the more traditional beers maybe I won't like that much because of the preconception of what I was exposed to at first. Does that make sense?

I don't fully believe in what I say either because taste is SO subjective that if someone tells me it's "good" and I don't like it, I'm not going to try to purposely fool myself or try to "acquire" a taste for it. I so happened to like fruity coffees. That's why I drink them. I so happen to like coffee that best reflects the true nature of that bean and I don't want to roast anything "out of it". If you don't because you're used to something else, then continue drinking your traditional roasts...I don't see the problem.

BaristaBoy E61

#10: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

Espressoman007 wrote:Hi,
what happened to coffee, is it not good as it used to be, doesn't it smell as good as it used to smell, and its taste, isn't it special enough? I can keep going on and on but I guess I've made the point.

I love how coffee smells I love its unique taste, I love everything what distinguishes coffee from anything else. Then why that quest for fruits in coffee?
It's like everyone is chasing after that moist, sensual first kiss from a first lover in their cup of coffee.

I once asked my best friend Joe, "What do you look for in a cup of coffee?" Joe replied, "I like coffee that tastes like coffee".

So I'm with others here and my good friend Joe then it comes to my 'Cuppa Joe'!
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"