Why "Group"?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
shawndo

#1: Post by shawndo »

I'm supposed to be Mr Coffee guy to my non-coffee-nerd friends, but someone stumped me with "Why do they call that part a "group"?"
My google-fu is also failing me.
Anyone have this trivia ?
Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra

another_jim
Team HB

#2: Post by another_jim »

Brewhead + portafilter = group
Jim Schulman

shawndo (original poster)

#3: Post by shawndo (original poster) »

I used to think that, but in practice it seems that Brewhead = Group with/without the portafilter.
Would it be incorrect to call it a "group" if the portafilter was removed ?

In any case, Ill go with that. I I think I just have an internal mental bug thats probably wrong.
Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra

Orcasite

#4: Post by Orcasite »

"Gruppo". Italian for "group", used to describe an interconnected set of mechanical parts. Used generally for bicycles and thus applied logically to the mechanisms used in espresso machine group head. (valves, springs, seats, etc).

BaristaBoy E61

#5: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

I would say that if you looked at an exploded diagram of the 'Group' of say either an E61 or lever machine, you would see a concentration of many parts that together form the assembly that we refer to as the 'Group'.
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

JojoS

#6: Post by JojoS »

Orcasite wrote:"Gruppo". Italian for "group", used to describe an interconnected set of mechanical parts. Used generally for bicycles and thus applied logically to the mechanisms used in espresso machine group head. (valves, springs, seats, etc).
Good explanation or maybe they needed to call it something when it was decided to make more of it on a single machine.

Tonefish

#7: Post by Tonefish »

Orcasite wrote:"Gruppo". Italian for "group", used to describe an interconnected set of mechanical parts. Used generally for bicycles and thus applied logically to the mechanisms used in espresso machine group head. (valves, springs, seats, etc).
I'd bet on this one. Many bike shops still call the suite of components the "group."
LMWDP #581 .......... May your roasts, grinds, and pulls be the best!

dominico
Team HB

#8: Post by dominico »

"Gruppo" is actually short for "gruppo erogatore".

"erogazione" in this case being the act of actually making the espresso.
https://bit.ly/3N1bhPR
Il caffè è un piacere, se non è buono che piacere è?

Tonefish

#9: Post by Tonefish replying to dominico »

Ah, the time/study in/of Italia pays off. 8)
LMWDP #581 .......... May your roasts, grinds, and pulls be the best!

Giampiero

#10: Post by Giampiero »

Yes, correct, 100 plus Lode :D