Why do I want this? Breville Puck Sucker knockbox [1 min. VIDEO]

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
baldheadracing
Team HB

#1: Post by baldheadracing »

-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

truemagellen

#2: Post by truemagellen »

some italian coffees have very sticky pucks and if i dont knock them out immediately they fall apart upon knocking. so I already was tinkering with an idea like this that puffs out the puck.

I think this implementation is not ideal from a speed standpoint there could be a flap of some sort that creates the rapid vacuum then the puck falls into the bin. Also a handheld device may be useful. We shall see if they add different sizes for different PFs.

Capuchin Monk

#3: Post by Capuchin Monk »

It says, "For quieter coffee making". I wonder what device they can provide to make milk frothing quieter... :shock: :?:

ira
Team HB

#4: Post by ira »

I'm pretty certain this is their current answer for quiet frothing. https://www.breville.com/us/en/products ... u=BMF600XL

I also wonder about the word quiet associated with this product. From the manual: "The machine has a continuous vacuum sound until the portafilter is removed" and "If the puck hasn't come out after 10 seconds, remove the portafilter and try again."

And I've never heard a quiet vacuum.

Marcelnl

#5: Post by Marcelnl »

Silent grinders would be a great start....
LMWDP #483

Capuchin Monk

#6: Post by Capuchin Monk »

More money to spend. :(
I would rather get some exercise out of milk frothing if I want a quieter morning.

As for the knock box noise, I hold the box / container in my hand when I knock the portafilter. No THUMP on the counter, just a little "knock". :)

gabeholloway
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by gabeholloway »

Capuchin Monk wrote:As for the knock box noise, I hold the box / container in my hand when I knock the portafilter. No THUMP on the counter, just a little "knock". :)
Same. The knock box noise and mess has never been an issue at home. In a cafe, sure. But not at home. That to me isn't the selling point. Put some sort of water spray/brush/cleaning system on it, though, and then I'm listening.

Capuchin Monk

#8: Post by Capuchin Monk »

gabeholloway wrote:Put some sort of water spray/brush/cleaning system on it, though, and then I'm listening.
Kind of like bidet? :lol:

Randy G.

#9: Post by Randy G. »

gabeholloway wrote: Put some sort of water spray/brush/cleaning system on it, though, and then I'm listening.
If you have a bottomless portafilter, bring a towel.. and a mop. :D
I installed a cup washer and have to hold my hand over the PF when giving it a quick rinse between extractions.
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

palica

#10: Post by palica »

No noise to remove the puck, OK, but you will hear people saying "F*ck! My puck screen!" :lol: