Why do coffee houses extract into a vessel first? - Page 2

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
pcrussell50

#11: Post by pcrussell50 » Jan 15, 2020, 11:35 pm

russel wrote:I prefer that strait shots be pulled into a clean intermediate vessel and then transferred into a drinking vessel. Crema is not tasty and espresso is much better stirred up. I'd rather serve a finished drink than have to hand someone something with an explanation about how then should be doing the last step. Also, I don't like the clutter of the used spoon...it never sits well on the saucer and then it's another thing to return to the dish tub or wherever the cafe wants it to go.
I agree with this completely. Crema is nasty. And with my own espresso I either let it cool and dissipate, or stir it.

Getting back to cafes though, subjectively, I would prefer to see it all flecked and crema laden, and then I'd treat it like I do my own. Further, most places that extract into an intermediate vessel still give you a spoon.

In Europe, you get your shot of Illy or Lavazza with a spoon and a lump of sugar or something sweet.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

cpreston

#12: Post by cpreston » Jan 16, 2020, 7:44 am

Just guessing, but possibly they use shot volume as a rough QC check. Easier to judge if always in the same vessel regardless of drink size.

weebit_nutty

#13: Post by weebit_nutty » Jan 16, 2020, 7:59 am

Another reason is regarding latte art.

Mixing the crema will produce a more uniform surface for pouring clean latte art. Typically free pours aren't executed immediately after the shot completes. As such, the crema layer tends to stiffen as it dissipates and the latte art will look rather dirty with dark lines and blotches when poured without mixing in the solids collected on the surface.
You're not always right, but when you're right, you're right, right?

bluesman

#14: Post by bluesman » Jan 16, 2020, 8:34 am

Using a shot vessel eliminates spatter on the cup. Those brown spots look dirty, and many baristas wipe them off just as a fine restaurant does to each plate rim before serving. For those who do it, it's often about presentation.

mdmvrockford
Supporter ♡

#15: Post by mdmvrockford » Jan 16, 2020, 12:43 pm

So that is why commercial cafes do it.

For OCD-ish home-baristas (like me) who have naked portafilters and no time constraints (unlike commercial setting), I rarely if ever get spritzes or splatter in my demitasse. If it is not perfect tiger-stripe extraction and perfect crema mottling then it's down the sink :lol: To be clear last two sentence written in jest.
LMWDP #568

ojt

#16: Post by ojt » Jan 16, 2020, 6:16 pm

russel wrote:In Europe, you get your shot of Illy or Lavazza with a spoon and a lump of sugar or something sweet.
In Europe we get all sorts of coffees. In states I got an 8oz espresso.

Just sayin'
Osku

CarefreeBuzzBuzz
Supporter ♡

#17: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz » Jan 16, 2020, 6:36 pm

Peter, they must see you coming....

Do like PublicUS and but it in a black demi if worried about specks.
I think its a fools errand for shops since many people like the crema, unmixed. If someone wants it mixed, that's what a spoon is for.
Better yet, just order it that way I want a doppio in the demi. Kinda a nice ring.

Michael
CarefreeBuzzBuzz
___
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

Spitz.me

#18: Post by Spitz.me » Yesterday, 4:21 pm

I believe that in the cafes that transfer to a demi, they're simply just following procedure. The procedure is that the person behind the bar only pulls shots into a vessel that gets handed to the person who actually prepares the drink that requires the espresso.

Stirring should be up to me - I don't stir. I like the heavy body up top.
I know I've pulled a great shot when the flavour is 'like a beany taste that tastes like a bean'.

pcrussell50

#19: Post by pcrussell50 » Yesterday, 4:34 pm

Spitz.me wrote: Stirring should be up to me - I don't stir. I like the heavy body up top.
I'm the opposite. I don't like crema much. BUT I like to reserve to option to stir myself. I want to see the crema and the flecking as proof of freshness and technique. Yes, I know some super high EY low ratio 1:3 "EK'spresso" type shots won't be very flecky and crema'y.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

bluesman

#20: Post by bluesman » Yesterday, 4:59 pm

I don't understand the concern over the taste of pure crema. Next time you drink a shot, take the first sip and look at the cup. There's still crema on top - you don't get it all in the first sip unless you go out of your way to somehow suck it off. The liquid espresso flows over the rim from under the crema for a mix in the mouth, just as it does from under the stiff foam blobbed into lattes and cappuccinos. And if you chug a ristretto like a true Italian, the shot mixes as you pour it into your mouth.