Who is using the Force Tamper - Page 4

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
BaristaBob

#31: Post by BaristaBob »

bettysnephew wrote:Another little thing I do is to slightly retract the guide assembly and give the tamper a tap on my mat to clear any grinds that may have gotten above the tamp head as I noticed some up there before. As said, I am very pleased with this unit and would buy again.
Another tip on keeping this tamper clean, is at the end of the day (after 3+ espresso routines for me) I take it over to the sink, slightly retract the guide assembly and give it a short blast with compressed air (the kind you use for your computer). This really does the job. 8)
Bob "hello darkness my old friend..I've come to drink you once again"

bnw

#32: Post by bnw »

If you have a little brush for cleaning, like the one that comes with a Niche Zero, you can hold the tamper open over your knockbox or a sink and quickly dust it out, too.

Not as cool as compressed air but it works well enough.

Advertisement
Badam

#33: Post by Badam »

Any thoughts on the benefits (if there are any) on the ripple base over the flat or distributer flat? I would think it would lead to some channeling but maybe not...

stanleyleecm

#34: Post by stanleyleecm »

Is anyone experiencing grounds trapping in between the leveling plate and tamper base after tamping? It is kind of bothering me.

AssafL

#35: Post by AssafL »

Yes. Some. Tiny amount I don't bother about. Once in a while I tip it into the knock box.
Scraping away (slowly) at the tyranny of biases and dogma.

BaristaBob

#36: Post by BaristaBob »

Badam wrote:Any thoughts on the benefits (if there are any) on the ripple base over the flat or distributer flat? I would think it would lead to some channeling but maybe not...
I quick thought on styles other than flat tamper bases...these are "band-aids" for more serious puck prep problems. Fix these problems with the more normal techniques and then stick with a flat base.

pyumiy

#37: Post by pyumiy »

Maybe it's just me, but for some reason whenever I've used the Force tamper, it always channels. I usually starts with catching the coffee ground using a blind shaker (similar to the one from Weber workshop), then dump the grounds in my IMS Baristapro basket (15g), then use a needle distribution tool (kinda looks like a duomo), then I would either use a bravo distributor to flatten to top or not use it. Either way, if I tamp using the force tamper, I would get channeling. If I use the bravo tamper, then it usually doesn't channel. Anyone else have similar experience? Are there things here I should adjust?
I like that the force tamper has a very satisfying click, and even don't mind the grounds collecting in between the disks that much (the bravo does that a little bit too). I really want to like it, but it just hasn't worked out for me personally. Definitely would love to hear any suggestions. Thank you!!
(Also I'm fairly new to espresso in general)

Advertisement
Jeff
Team HB

#38: Post by Jeff »

Given that The Force and Bravo are well-regarded by many puck-prep nuts, I tend to not think it is The Force causing the problem. Rather, I think it is revealing a problem earlier. You should be able to prep a basket without more than a tamper and a set of fingers for classic espresso blends. I'd take out at least the spinny needles. If you have clumping, then a WDT tool made from a cork and some needles, Jkim-Makes' tool, or the LeverCraft tool (depending on budget and availability) are approaches I believe work well.

The more steps you have, the more variability and greater chances of making things worse rather than better.

BaristaBob

#39: Post by BaristaBob »

Make sure you are holding the top plate down against the basket as you apply the spring force or the tamper will "kick" back just a little...but enough to possibly cause some micro-cracks.
★ Helpful

pyumiy

#40: Post by pyumiy »

Thank you Jeff!! I will definitely try that, I have a needle on wood type tool but always felt the needle might be too thick. Will report back!!
Jeff wrote:Given that The Force and Bravo are well-regarded by many puck-prep nuts, I tend to not think it is The Force causing the problem. Rather, I think it is revealing a problem earlier. You should be able to prep a basket without more than a tamper and a set of fingers for classic espresso blends. I'd take out at least the spinny needles. If you have clumping, then a WDT tool made from a cork and some needles, Jkim-Makes' tool, or the LeverCraft tool (depending on budget and availability) are approaches I believe work well.

The more steps you have, the more variability and greater chances of making things worse rather than better.