Where did the archive of alt.coffee go?

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
jbviau
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by jbviau » Oct 22, 2019, 9:17 pm

Hi, all. Mark Prince tweeted tonight that Google had killed off the archive of alt.coffee, which, if true, would be a shame. Could someone please confirm? I certainly don't see it, even using the Wayback Machine.
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

jbviau
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by jbviau » Dec 17, 2019, 10:23 am

So it's just gone for good, I take it? That's quite a loss. I was reminded of this topic earlier when I saw on Twitter that the hosting for Coffeed.com is supposed to expire soon...
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

HB
Admin

#3: Post by HB » Dec 17, 2019, 11:23 am

I'm baffled why Google will index and archive the most arcane sites on the planet, but not keep alt.coffee archives around. I'm sure they could have figured out a way to monetize it. The same fate befell Yahoo Groups. :cry:
Dan Kehn

Randy G.

#4: Post by Randy G. » Dec 17, 2019, 12:49 pm

I wonder if the massive amount of spam and NSFW content had something to do with it?
Espresso! My Espresso!
http://www.EspressoMyEspresso.com

rcs914

#5: Post by rcs914 » Jan 16, 2020, 2:28 pm

I just went looking for it myself to go back and read some of the stuff we used to discuss and to see if there was any talk of an old Malkonig grinder someone was asking about over on Reddit, only to discover it was gone. Now I know that the group was overrun in later years with spam, because it wasn't a moderated usenet group, but this is ridiculous. There was so much there from back in the early to mid 2000's. Additionally make it so no one can post to the group, but to kill off the whole archive of what was once a popular and important place of discussion is ridiculous. Isn't the whole point of them having the Usenet archive so that it is archived???