Where coffee and other life interests intersect - Page 2

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
bonjing

#11: Post by bonjing »

mivanitsky wrote:I have the pepper Canons and the Weber Mills, and they are all outstanding. Highly recommended, especially when you can get them at a discount, which does happen at times. I sold my old Lido 2, but it would be repurposed for pepper if I still had it. Grinder acquisition disorder is a real thing.
We were on the fence about the Weber set not going to lie but the price was painful. Wife told me to get them but I refused. Looking for some regret here :lol: how does the pepper cannon compare to the Weber?

How is the Weber salt mill, is the output as crazy as the cannon? That's a lot of salt :shock:

Those that have transitioned from a coffee grinder to the cannon was there a drastic improvement?

ira
Team HB

#12: Post by ira »

FWIW< I use a Lido II for Pepper and it's good enough I can't imagine anything being better unless you wanted something faster and that's not saying it's slow, it's certainly the fastest pepper grinder I've ever used.

Advertisement
JB90068
Supporter ❤

#13: Post by JB90068 »

One of my favorite pepper mills is an original antique Turkish coffee grinder. It's set very fine and I use it only for white pepper.

I love grinding sea salt or Himalayan pink and have used Perfex salt mills over the years with mixed results.

After I got my EG-1 and had used it for a while I started thinking that the Weber salt and pepper mills looked really great. I had just killed another Perfex so I took the plunge. I have to say that in all my years of cooking, these are the two finest mills I've ever used. So thanks to coffee, I now grind two different peppercorns and salt in mills that are directly linked to grinding coffee.

Next up: nitro espresso martinis...
Old baristas never die. They just become over extracted.

mivanitsky
Supporter ★

#14: Post by mivanitsky »

The Weber Salt mill is excellent. It can put out a lot of salt, but like the pepper mill, it distributes well and is easily controllable.

The Pepper Cannon is functionally equal to the Weber. It is not as overbuilt, but it is as good as it needs to be. I have done no particle distribution analysis. The grind adjustment mechanisms of both are excellent, with the Weber being like a mini HG1, while the Cannon has a very nice implementation of the more conventional bottom burr adjustment nut.

There is as yet no Salt Cannon. There needs to be.

yakster
Supporter ♡

#15: Post by yakster »

ira wrote:FWIW< I use a Lido II for Pepper and it's good enough I can't imagine anything being better unless you wanted something faster and that's not saying it's slow, it's certainly the fastest pepper grinder I've ever used.
I may have to try this, given the price of the alternatives and the fact that I haven't used my Lido II in quite a while.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

bonjing

#16: Post by bonjing »

mivanitsky wrote:The Weber Salt mill is excellent. It can put out a lot of salt, but like the pepper mill, it distributes well and is easily controllable.

The Pepper Cannon is functionally equal to the Weber. It is not as overbuilt, but it is as good as it needs to be. I have done no particle distribution analysis. The grind adjustment mechanisms of both are excellent, with the Weber being like a mini HG1, while the Cannon has a very nice implementation of the more conventional bottom burr adjustment nut.

There is as yet no Salt Cannon. There needs to be.
Thanks for the comparison.

thesharpener

#17: Post by thesharpener »

I have a Weber Moulin Salt and the Mannekitchen Pepper Cannon. They are both nice tools, the Weber mill feels more fleshed out with regards to design, and feels more solid, not that the Pepper Cannon is flimsy or anything.

The Pepper Cannon is great for grinding a lot of pepper, and it's fast, but I don't love the ergonomics. I use it mainly for mise en place prep, for example if I need several tbsp of ground pepper for a brisket going in the smoker. Generally I don't like handling mills when cooking since I use my hands a lot and they'll get soiled quickly, so I grind into a small prep bowl.

Bottom line, I like both, but do they make the food taste any better compared to using a basic, well made mill, or just dipping into a salt cellar with my fingers and sprinkling? No.
Pete - LMWDP #572