What's the big deal about espresso?

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
BarryR

#1: Post by BarryR »

I roast my own coffee in a Behmor and use either a French Press, Clever Dripper or a Bunn Phase Brew.
I drink my coffee black. I wake up thinking about the delicious cup of coffee I'll be having soon and think likewise around lunchtime. At dinner I think about the nice cup of Decaf I'll have after dinner.
So, I consider myself a fairly hard-core coffee geek.

That said, my experiences with Espresso are quite ltd to the occasional cup here or there.
I would guess that I've mostly had mediocre espresso since I didn't have it at a coffee enthusiast locale. The espressos I've tried were pretty bitter, but still enjoyable.

Naturally, I'm wondering what I'm missing and "what's the big deal" about espresso.
I do like coffee dark (in the strong, not overroasted sense).

Surprisingly, neither this site nor by google search could I find an explanation of how the taste and enjoyment of espresso differs from well-brewed coffee. (I basically understand the difference in the process).

For what it's worth, I like brewed coffee roasted around the Full City range (give or take a notch).

If I discover that my life would be more complete with an Espresso Machine, I could certainly spend the money ($600 or so minimum?) that would be needed for a better grinder and decent Espresso machine.

Can anyone point me to some good info on this?

Also, I occasionally go to Boston/Cambridge. Any top picks on where to try top-notch Espresso there?

Ben Z.

#2: Post by Ben Z. »

I'm sure you can get some good boston recommendations. Espresso isn't for everyone - what other kinds of strongly flavored drinks and foods do you like?

Advertisement
BarryR (original poster)

#3: Post by BarryR (original poster) »

I love craft beer (most types other than very light).
DARK Chocolate is my other passion. Anything under 72% now tastes almost too sweet to me and I find up to 86% quite enjoyable. Even 90% sometimes.

Actually I have a pet theory that my love of coffee, beer and chocolate are very closely related and am always surprised when someone likes one or two of these but not all three.

In wines I prefer fuller bodied wines (like Zins as opposed to Merlots).
I definitely do not have a shy pallate and like strongly flavored and spicey foods.
I also like my taste buds to be "challenged" by new flavors and combinations.

I'm sure I like Espresso, though I need to figure out if I like it >$600 in equipment-wise. :wink:

coryforsenate

#4: Post by coryforsenate »

I like eating unsweetened cocoa powder out of the can.

another_jim
Team HB

#5: Post by another_jim »

BarryR wrote: ... Can anyone point me to some good info on this? ... Also, I occasionally go to Boston/Cambridge.
Try the top cafes in Boston (other local posters will suggest names) and see if you are moved. Count yourself lucky if you aren't, since the ticket prices to top notch home espresso are $1500 and up, grinder and machine.

The major difference between brewed and espresso is concentration: 15 grams of ground coffee are used in about 8 to 10 ounces of water for brewed coffee, whereas it goes into 1/2 to 1 ounce of water for espresso. The downside to this is that it requires much more balance in the tastes than brewed coffee to be pleasant; the upside is that when the balance is right, the pleasant taste experience is far more intense.
Jim Schulman

dustin360

#6: Post by dustin360 »

Great or even good espresso is an elusive beast. I think your in the same boat as most normal people(normal, as in they dont frequent this site). I thought for years that espresso was this nasty bitter dark beverage, and the only people who drank it were guys who thought they were cool for drinking it straight.

Then one day I had an espresso at a respectable cafe on a whim, and it totally changed my view. It wasnt bitter, burnt, or hard to drink. It was flavorful, sweet, and interesting. Ive tried to spread the word since that day, to help others see the light.

Also I dont believe espresso is a better beverage than brewed coffee(though there was a time i thought that). Just another great way to brew coffee.

Randy G.

#7: Post by Randy G. »

BarryR,
I wasn't going to be the first to respond, what with the date and all.. :shock:

A really great espresso is like a great beer.. unforgettable. But unlike great beer, it is more difficult to find.

I am surprised you didn't like single malt scotch on your list of flavor favorites.
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

Advertisement
Bak Ta Lo
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by Bak Ta Lo »

BarryR wrote:
I'm sure I like Espresso, though I need to figure out if I like it >$600 in equipment-wise. :wink:
At your level of uncertainty, do not buy any equipment yet. Instead, search out the top 2 shops in the Boston/Cambridge area and start drinking shots frequently. I found this shop on Google, it sounds like an awesome place, the Yelp reviews are raving. Have a shot or two on each visit, ask questions about the beans they use, try shots straight, with sugar, with milk. Try a few different shops, see if you can tell the difference in the styles, see if one shop is better than the other. I am glad I had the chance to get shots from two different amazing shops where I used to live, so now I have a standard to compare my own espresso against. If you find you are getting in to it seriously, you can search here on H-B and find loads of posts about good solutions for grinder/machine combos in your price range.
LMWDP #371

BarryR (original poster)

#9: Post by BarryR (original poster) »

dustin360 wrote:Great or even good espresso is an elusive beast. I think your in the same boat as most normal people(normal, as in they dont frequent this site). I thought for years that espresso was this nasty bitter dark beverage, and the only people who drank it were guys who thought they were cool for drinking it straight.

Then one day I had an espresso at a respectable cafe on a whim, and it totally changed my view. It wasnt bitter, burnt, or hard to drink. It was flavorful, sweet, and interesting. Ive tried to spread the word since that day, to help others see the light.

Also I dont believe espresso is a better beverage than brewed coffee(though there was a time i thought that). Just another great way to brew coffee.
Actually, when I've had espresso, I've liked it (straight). I have a very high tolerance/liking for bitter tastes. I just didn't like it better than regular brewed coffee and given the bother and expense didn't persue it further.
So, I'm guessing, done right, I'm probably a set-up for loving espresso.

I'll try some in some good places and see.
Unfortunately, I live 90 miles West of Boston. Unless Northampton has good espresso, I'm not sure I can find anything nearby.

Also, I'll be in DC soon, if anyone's got any recommendations for that, I'd appreciate it.

Is there anything for me to read out there regarding what makes a good espresso bean compared with brewed coffee and why? I often find descriptions like: ideal for espresso, etc. Or roast City+ for brewed, FC makes a great SO espresso.

allon

#10: Post by allon »

BarryR wrote:Also, I'll be in DC soon, if anyone's got any recommendations for that, I'd appreciate it.
Baltimore-Washington DC Coffee Shops
LMWDP #331