What to do with old coffee grinds? - Page 2

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
happycat

#11: Post by happycat »

It makes no sense to talk in black and white.

Blueberries like acidic soil

Coffee grounds can be acidic depending on extraction, rinsing

The amount of coffee grounds dumped in one place would affect the amount of acidity added
LMWDP #603

yakster
Supporter ♡

#12: Post by yakster »

I've been adding all my grounds to my compost bin.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#13: Post by JohnB. »

happycat wrote:It makes no sense to talk in black and white.

Blueberries like acidic soil

Coffee grounds can be acidic depending on extraction, rinsing

The amount of coffee grounds dumped in one place would affect the amount of acidity added
Which is why I started spreading my coffee grounds/liquid around them in the first place.
LMWDP 267

MNate

#14: Post by MNate »

Well, I've been adding my grounds to my garden for a few years and like to do it.

One factor for the original poster, I find the spent grounds get moldy very quickly if I just dump them in a bucket to collect them. I think a better method of drying them out or a routine for regularly getting rid of them even more often than once a week would be needed. But I think it's a good idea, even if just as a good brown additive to the compost pile.

ragdoll serenade

#15: Post by ragdoll serenade »

Is there a local farmer's market nearby your shop? I would get in touch with the folks that organize the market. I would guess some of the farmers would be delighted to take them. You may find customers that would like some, but the amount you are generating would quickly become too much for most backyard compost bins or garden plots.

Giampiero

#16: Post by Giampiero »

Coffee therapy, just dry it and if you know some massage therapy shop, they could use it...maybe they even pay for it :wink:

Balthazar_B

#17: Post by Balthazar_B »

MNate wrote:Well, I've been adding my grounds to my garden for a few years and like to do it.

One factor for the original poster, I find the spent grounds get moldy very quickly if I just dump them in a bucket to collect them. I think a better method of drying them out or a routine for regularly getting rid of them even more often than once a week would be needed. But I think it's a good idea, even if just as a good brown additive to the compost pile.
Believe it or not, coffee grounds count as green compost, color notwithstanding.
- John

LMWDP # 577

TenLayers
Supporter ♡

#18: Post by TenLayers »

According to this article, spent espresso grounds are the new zeitgeist of cocktails.
https://punchdrink.com/articles/cocktai ... dante-nyc/

slybarman

#19: Post by slybarman »

Find some drug traffickers that can use it for their coke shipments to throw off the dogs? :shock:

C-Antonio

#20: Post by C-Antonio »

for whats worth, old farmers in Italy used them for cooking also... For example some very old recipes call for a bit of spent grounds to be added to the flour in chocolate cakes, it bumps up the chocolate flavour.
In the fridge helps killing odours like baking soda does, pecorino cheese anyone?
Its a good degreaser, works well enough for my barbecue at least... also with soap and water helps the selfcleaning in blenders, useful for those narrow deep glass types.
Community gardens dont mind using the grinds either, its a fertilizer, keeps snails away, promotes worms proliferation. It hides what ants use to mark a track for other ants to follow so spreading spent grinds forces the ants to re-route. Burning coffee grounds keeps wasps away
I use some mixed with soap, works great to take grease off my hands after fixing cars. Coffee grinds mixed with oil instead can take away polyurethane varnish from the hands...
Some put them in the hair, seems it nourishes them... wouldnt know since my hair and my head parted ways time ago.
Talking about hair... of dogs: a good scrub with coffee grounds is said to send fleas packing, I wouldnt try it on my dog though, I'd never be able to rinse it off.
Also its said they keep stray cats away when spread around, really have no idea if it would work... maybe throwing a spent puck would do it...
“Eh sì sì sì…sembra facile (fare un buon caffè)!”