What to do with old coffee grinds? - Page 2

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
happycat

Postby happycat » Aug 06, 2019, 10:56 pm

It makes no sense to talk in black and white.

Blueberries like acidic soil

Coffee grounds can be acidic depending on extraction, rinsing

The amount of coffee grounds dumped in one place would affect the amount of acidity added
LMWDP #603

yakster
Supporter ♡

Postby yakster » Aug 06, 2019, 11:15 pm

I've been adding all my grounds to my compost bin.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

Postby JohnB. » Aug 07, 2019, 7:32 am

happycat wrote:It makes no sense to talk in black and white.

Blueberries like acidic soil

Coffee grounds can be acidic depending on extraction, rinsing

The amount of coffee grounds dumped in one place would affect the amount of acidity added

Which is why I started spreading my coffee grounds/liquid around them in the first place.
LMWDP 267

MNate

Postby MNate » Aug 07, 2019, 11:03 pm

Well, I've been adding my grounds to my garden for a few years and like to do it.

One factor for the original poster, I find the spent grounds get moldy very quickly if I just dump them in a bucket to collect them. I think a better method of drying them out or a routine for regularly getting rid of them even more often than once a week would be needed. But I think it's a good idea, even if just as a good brown additive to the compost pile.

ragdoll serenade

Postby ragdoll serenade » Aug 12, 2019, 12:19 am

Is there a local farmer's market nearby your shop? I would get in touch with the folks that organize the market. I would guess some of the farmers would be delighted to take them. You may find customers that would like some, but the amount you are generating would quickly become too much for most backyard compost bins or garden plots.

Giampiero

Postby Giampiero » Aug 13, 2019, 10:31 am

Coffee therapy, just dry it and if you know some massage therapy shop, they could use it...maybe they even pay for it :wink:

Balthazar_B

Postby Balthazar_B » Aug 16, 2019, 8:43 am

MNate wrote:Well, I've been adding my grounds to my garden for a few years and like to do it.

One factor for the original poster, I find the spent grounds get moldy very quickly if I just dump them in a bucket to collect them. I think a better method of drying them out or a routine for regularly getting rid of them even more often than once a week would be needed. But I think it's a good idea, even if just as a good brown additive to the compost pile.

Believe it or not, coffee grounds count as green compost, color notwithstanding.
- John

LMWDP # 577