What is your most unexpectedly useful accessory?

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
TheodorAdorno

#1: Post by TheodorAdorno »

I was wondering, amongst all the expensive gadgetry people accumulate, whether there are any accessories that you've grown to really depend upon?

Mine are:

A rubber bar mat (supposed to use it for making cocktails) - it has proved really useful in protecting all my glassware, portafilters etc. etc. It's helped me avoid a divorce because it stops spills spreading and the little ridges let you rest puck screens and various small filters (e.g. metal aeropress filters) vertically so they can dry off.

Metal Chopstick - I find myself using this *all* the time for stirring, digging out discarded puck screens in my knock-box, tissue on the end to help clean the hard to reach bits on my shower screen and quite a few uses I've probably forgotten ...

Anyone else got little helpers they didn't realize would prove to be so useful when they first got them?

Best,

Paul.

★ Helpful

tennisman03110

#2: Post by tennisman03110 »

My coffee tasting wheel. Really helps me learn to taste coffee.

★ Helpful

TheodorAdorno (original poster)

#3: Post by TheodorAdorno (original poster) »

I'm already on edge when someone says "ooh, that's nice" after I've painstakingly made them the best coffee I can.

Learning all the terms on your wheel might send me over the edge! :)

michael

#4: Post by michael »

I got some bar mats this fall, very good, let me make less of a mess

Also like the cafe latte corner tamping mat 8)

lancealot

#5: Post by lancealot »

Pallo brushes.
Grey microfiber cloths.

jbviau
Supporter ★

#6: Post by jbviau »

I no longer use the Eva Solo brewer, but the plastic stirrer that it came with gets daily use. It's perfect! pic: https://www.coffeegeek.com/wp-content/u ... spoon2.jpg

Ever Meister had a related discussion on Twitter a while back that might be worth looking through:
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by JohnB. »

The Rocket Air Blaster & the Acid Brushes I bought a gross of back in 2013.
LMWDP 267

TheodorAdorno (original poster)

#8: Post by TheodorAdorno (original poster) »

jbviau wrote:I no longer use the Eva Solo brewer, but the plastic stirrer that it came with gets daily use. It's perfect! pic: https://www.coffeegeek.com/wp-content/u ... spoon2.jpg

Ever Meister had a related discussion on Twitter a while back that might be worth looking through:
That looks great, now the task is to track one down without having to buy the brewer!

yakster
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by yakster »

The rocket blower and the Aeropress funnel.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

BaristaBoy E61

#10: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

A 2nd pitcher to pour steamed milk from one to the other to 'tame' the steamed milk that would otherwise not be quite as perfect for pouring latté art.

"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"