What has happened to me?

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
GreavesManchu

#1: Post by GreavesManchu »

I used a Silvia/Rocky for 18 yrs. Caffe Mochas 7/365. Then I discovered HB and started to apply what I learned and really upped my espresso game; temp surfing, weighing shots, naked PF. After about a year of this and daily reading everything espresso, my wonderful wife (who believes in the right tool for the job) told me to s___ or get off the pot. I upgraded to the Pro 600 and E37s. "Great" I said, "now I can put away all the reading and fixating on espresso!" Not so. It's worse. Had to have a $$$ scale, getting ready to buy a silicone PF gasket, ridgeless basket, and new shower screen, still reading. I now make and drink espresso daily and I'm starting to think I might need a Niche Zero so I can more easily try different beans. What has happened? What have you done to me!

drH

#2: Post by drH »

I sympathize. I used to have Starbucks house blend every day for years. I was completely happy. Then I bought my first machine. A single boiler PID. That should serve me for years right?

But I needed to know what a manual lever would be like. So I sold it for a cremina. And now the grinder needs upgrading. Oh, hey Olympia's Moca grinder isn't the most affordable but it sure would look nice next to the Cremina. But everyone raves about those Monoliths!!
And maybe it makes sense to have a pump machine and a lever to compare? Won't I be missing something really interesting if I don't have a commercial spring lever to deliver those Classic Italian profiles? Man the videos of those Londinium shots look like melting caramel!
As soon as the whirlwind starts there is no escape.

Advertisement
emradguy
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by emradguy »

You know what they say..."ignorance is bliss". Welcome to the rabbit hole!

btw, a white niche just popped up on the Sell board today. It's just a few weeks old.
LMWDP #748

luvmy40

#4: Post by luvmy40 replying to emradguy »

You are a bad, bad person!

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Plinyyounger
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by Plinyyounger »

Six months ago no machine. Now...Pro 700 and a DE1+, Eureka grinder Luna scale etc etc! Welcome aboard!
Family, coffee and fun.

jpreiser

#6: Post by jpreiser »

Welcome aboard the crazy train.

Six weeks ago, all I was looking to upgrade was an espresso grinder which resulted in placing an order for a Niche Zero.

Somehow, while waiting for the Niche to arrive, I decided I wanted to upgrade my espresso machine which resulted in an order for a DE1+ getting placed.

Of course, I'm going from 53mm to 58mm so also needed to add a new tamper and some different sized baskets.

Espresso_Monkey

#7: Post by Espresso_Monkey »

GreavesManchu wrote:I used a Silvia/Rocky for 18 yrs. Caffe Mochas 7/365.
I look at it this way: you've proven over 18 years that you are serious about the hobby. Investment after that length of time is completely reasonable.

My own journey over 15 years has taken me from thermoblock to HX, to DB PID, to lever.