What? Does dry cupping mess with you?

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
drgary
Team HB

Postby drgary » Jan 03, 2019, 10:37 am

crunchybean wrote:Chewing on bean after it has been freshly roasted is informative but ultimately not good for digestive health so rinse and spit after done chewing.

Can you expand on that, maybe in a new thread? After chewing a few beans I don't notice any problems.

Moderator note: I've split this from another topic.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

crunchybean

Postby crunchybean » Jan 03, 2019, 11:13 am

drgary wrote:Can you expand on that, maybe in a new thread? After chewing a few beans I don't notice any problems.

After chewing more than a few beans I noticed problems ;) does it need a thread? I could if you want, but to say simply, do you eat bones or legos? Coffee grounds are inedible. And I'd put on the do not recommend eating list. And I mean the amount of caffeine you get is somewhere between 'a lot' and 'keeps me up all night' :)

drgary
Team HB

Postby drgary » Jan 03, 2019, 11:58 am

Ah, okay. I'll take care to crunch my beans in moderation. :wink:
Gary
LMWDP#308

perfectwheels

Postby perfectwheels » Jan 03, 2019, 1:24 pm

We used to eat chocolate covered coffee beans fishing at night for salmon. Certainly not as good as peanuts but not bad... at least one didn't spill coffee all over in rough weather.

MikeTheBlueCow

Postby MikeTheBlueCow » Jan 03, 2019, 8:42 pm

crunchybean wrote:After chewing more than a few beans I noticed problems ;) does it need a thread? I could if you want, but to say simply, do you eat bones or legos? Coffee grounds are inedible. And I'd put on the do not recommend eating list. And I mean the amount of caffeine you get is somewhere between 'a lot' and 'keeps me up all night' :)

It's plant matter, and in this case it'd just be some insoluble fiber, I believe. Bones and legos could potentially harm your GI tract, for sure, but I don't think beans will. Chocolate covered espresso beans are a common treat, so I don't think they're a universal health threat at least. I'm not sure what problems you found you had after crunching on a few beans, but I wonder what actually caused it. I do have more GI upset when I drink too many of the grounds out of my french press or cupping bowl, but oddly enough I can't say I've ever had any issue with crunching on beans.

Dr. Coffee

Postby Dr. Coffee » Jan 03, 2019, 11:31 pm

MikeTheBlueCow wrote:It's plant matter, and in this case it'd just be some insoluble fiber, I believe. Bones and legos could potentially harm your GI tract, for sure, but I don't think beans will. Chocolate covered espresso beans are a common treat, so I don't think they're a universal health threat at least. I'm not sure what problems you found you had after crunching on a few beans, but I wonder what actually caused it. I do have more GI upset when I drink too many of the grounds out of my french press or cupping bowl, but oddly enough I can't say I've ever had any issue with crunching on beans.

drgary wrote:Ah, okay. I'll take care to crunch my beans in moderation. :wink:

Each coffee bean has more than 10 mg of caffeine in it, which lowers the strength of the esophageal sphincter and causes acid reflux, just like a cup of coffee. Coffee beans themselves are acidic, and decaf coffee beans have been shown to increase gastric acid production without the aid of caffeine. This all leads to a very acidic and potentially extremely uncomfortable situation, above and beyond what the bean juice alone could produce.

This was all just a long way to say: eat them if you like to, don't eat them if they bother you.

MB

Postby MB » Jan 03, 2019, 11:50 pm

I was tempted to make a civit remark, but I'll just let it pass.
LMWDP #472

drgary
Team HB

Postby drgary » replying to MB » Jan 04, 2019, 12:36 am

:roll:
Gary
LMWDP#308

another_jim
Team HB

Postby another_jim » Jan 04, 2019, 1:46 am

Glazed or chocolate covered coffee beans are a standard confectionary ingredient. For this purpose, they should be roasted dark, so that they are crispy. On the other hand, chomping on fresh roasted beans never told me much of anything.
Jim Schulman

crunchybean

Postby crunchybean » Jan 07, 2019, 11:27 pm

What I guess I meant to say is guised under a veil of using common sense. Eat em if you want, I'm sure if there was a dentist in the house they'll be shaking at the thought of people crunching on beans, or maybe wringing their hands because you paid for their new boat. And the mouth is not a good grinder, I highly doubt stomach acid is going to break down the grinds any further. If you have been experiencing discomfort, go see your doctor. But I usually am eating them on an empty stomach. It doesn't matter, I'll be young forever.