Weber Workshop "Spring Clean"? - Page 2

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
puglife

#11: Post by puglife »

I have filed a patent and the application was publicly published 18 months after filing. The status had nothing to do with the publication. At the point in time of publication, it was still pending. According to the patent attorney I worked with, that's the default workflow for patents in the US.
luca wrote:At what point can you apply "patent pending" to your invention in the USA? is it after you have applied for a patent, but before it has been granted?
Your invention has this status once you have filed your application.

JackHK

#12: Post by JackHK »

tinman143

#13: Post by tinman143 »

How's this more effective vs a blind basket is my first thought? I suppose it has to be or else ww wouldn't develop this *shrug*

Bluecold

#14: Post by Bluecold »

More volume through the lines I guess? Still, flushing away half a litre of hot water seems a bit wasteful.
LMWDP #232
"Though I Fly Through the Valley of Death I Shall Fear No Evil For I am at 80,000 Feet and Climbing."

tinman143

#15: Post by tinman143 replying to Bluecold »

Well considering with detergent flushes through a blind basket taking 5-8 cycles, I suppose the amount of water being more?

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#16: Post by JohnB. »

At $300+ with shipping I'll be sticking with the blind basket.
LMWDP 267

Spitz.me

#17: Post by Spitz.me replying to JohnB. »

Ya. I can only guess that this is designed with Cafes in mind, but even then. I wouldn't have even guessed that there was a market for something like this...... :shock:
LMWDP #670

civ

#18: Post by civ »

Hello:
JohnB. wrote:At $300+ with shipping I'll be sticking with the blind basket.
+1

Can't say it is not an interesting idea but I get the same from my blind basket and probably use much less water.
Sort of reminds me of the motorised grounds disposal + portafilter cleaner for the countertop we saw some time ago.

CIV

Paul_Pratt

#19: Post by Paul_Pratt »

A novel idea that is for sure, but I would add a handle on it so the user can really lock it in place.

Peppersass
Supporter ❤

#20: Post by Peppersass »

Strange. Very typical of Weber accessories: novel approach, stylish, expensive, questionable whether it's really needed.

Perhaps you can use more detergent and it will dissolve more completely than it would if you just dump detergent powder into your blind basket (I use less than 1/2 tsp and mix it with hot water to completely dissolve it.)

That said, I don't think it takes all that much detergent to clean an espresso machine. I usually do one flush and let the detergent sit in the machine for 15 minutes, then reload with more dissolved detergent and run the GS/3 through it's automated backflush sequence. Then I run the automated sequence again with plain water, and then do it again. In summary: a single backflush followed by a 15 minute soak, one automated backflush cycle with detergent, and two automated backflush cycles with plain water. I do this with the screen off, which I soak in detergent with the dispersion screw and baskets while the backflushing is going on. I do this about once a week, when I clean out the knockbox. I also do a plain-water backflush with the screen in place at the end of each session after removing all coffee particles from the surface of the screen.

Back to the Spring Clean, I would be somewhat concerned about the force of the spring momentarily increasing pressure beyond the nominal 10-12 BAR that occurs during a normal backflush. Might not be good for the screen (which I remove anyway) and other parts/fittings.