Weber Moulin salt and pepper - Page 2

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
ira
Team HB

#11: Post by ira »

emradguy wrote:Here's a particle sample shot from the pepper mill:
Looks about the same as the output from a Lido II. But likely better ergonomics and easier adjustment.

Ira

emradguy
Supporter ♡

#12: Post by emradguy »

Yeah, definitely better ergonomics and easier to adjust.

To adjust it, you just grab the collar, lift it a few mm, and then rotate in the direction you want. However, you have to remember that it's backwards from coffee grinder adjustment...you go counter clockwise to grind finer!

The shape of the outer shell provides great leverage at the grip points, and you don't need to hold it against your hip (thank god, because then your salt/pepper would get all over your pants and the floor).
LMWDP #748

emradguy
Supporter ♡

#13: Post by emradguy »

Has anyone tried the Mannkitchen Pepper Cannon? I just saw an ad for it on Instagram and took a look at their promo video. It seems to be in the same class as the Moulin. Indegogo price is currently $160.
LMWDP #748

ira
Team HB

#14: Post by ira »

What matters are the burrs and neither the Mannkitchen nor the Weber sites actually tell you anything about the burrs and the pictures don't seem to be good enough to guess at the burr size.

Ira

Plinyyounger (original poster)

#15: Post by Plinyyounger (original poster) »

The burr size in all honesty didn't/doesn't matter to me, but rather function and design since it they will be in my kitchen. This choice is going to be a step up from anything I've used in the past, I'm looking forward to the grind sizes and outputs too. Two hefty items with good looking aesthetics which will help me make good food is what I'm after.
Family, coffee and fun.

ira
Team HB

#16: Post by ira »

Sorry, that was more about the difference between the two and maybe where some of the extra $150 comes from for the Weber. The Lido burrs with sleeve bearings do as well as anything for pepper and while I don't know about speed, I never turn the handle more than about 1/4 turn for all the pepper I ever want.

Ira

Plinyyounger (original poster)

#17: Post by Plinyyounger (original poster) replying to ira »

nice, I'm going look at those based on your experience. Who knows, maybe these things will be my new hobby, lol.
Family, coffee and fun.

roadman
Supporter ♡

#18: Post by roadman »

Using a crummy peppermill sucks. But there are good peppermills and coffee mills for grinding peppercorns that aren't anywhere near as expensive as the Moulin. And they have good ergonomics and produce an even grind.

I've got an old pear wood Peugeot peppermill that I've used for many years and it still performs flawlessly. I had it with me through my entire cooking career. We're talking years of daily pounding on the line at a Michelin starred restaurant. That little mill still works just as good as the day it was purchased. I smile every time I hold it in my hands.

That said, if you're wanting some cool expensive kitchen bling to play with, you'll certainly have fun with the Moulin :)