Uses For Coffee Waste? - Page 2

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
jyl (original poster)

#11: Post by jyl (original poster) »

I've run my drain line into the planter behind the house. We'll see how the shrub likes it.
John, Portland OR
Vintage bicycles, Porsche/VW, cooking, old houses.

bean2friends

#12: Post by bean2friends »

Tim.R wrote:I've been growing Oyster-mushrooms on mine for a while now! Actually, ready to harvest my 3rd batch. :D

In The Netherlands there is an initiative selling growth-kits for this (Rotterzwam). They supply a bag of spores, a bucket and a number of instructions (these are also in Youtube). Really cool if you ask me.

<image>
I love this idea. I hope I can find such a kit to grow oyster mushrooms in Indiana.

I once had a scare with spent espresso grounds. I had a rhubarb plant next to my white garage. I was spreading the grounds around the rhubarb. One day in the hot August sun, I witnessed the grounds spontaneously combust. I assume it was the sun reflecting off the white garage onto the coffee. I wouldn't have believed it if i hadnt seen it. Anyhow, i quit doing that.

MNate

#13: Post by MNate »

I put all my brewed grounds in my potting soil directly, even working it into the top inches of already planted pots. You do have to work it in or it forms a crust but otherwise seems very good for the soil. I think this was the article that convinced me it was a good thing, not just for plants that like acidity:

https://www.sunset.com/garden/earth-fri ... mpost-test