Unsanctioned Pro-Am Competition - Page 2

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
HB (original poster)
Admin

#11: Post by HB (original poster) »

Hey Daryn, nice of you to stop by!

I know you've been traveling a lot lately, so the three of us discussed the format in your absence. To keep it simple, all the rules and equipment would be standard competition, except of course there would be two baristas. Michelle Campbell wasn't keen on the idea of hosting our little showdown during the USBC, but maybe we can wiggle in some off hours in Charlotte. Shouldn't be a problem if your company is a sponsor, right?

PS: As I mentioned earlier, Daryn is planning to compete at the USBC as a walk-on. Where before I dismissed him as the "weaker link" of the CCC duo based on our Friday rendez-vous months ago, he's showing every sign of a comeback after years of resting on his laurels as 2003 SERBC champion. If he starts to look too good, Mike and I may have to call in other members of Team HB for some Rocky II-like training sessions. :D
Dan Kehn

Nick

#12: Post by Nick »

Dan,

You big wuss. Step up and take it like a man.

If you're gonna go around challenging people, then show up when someone then challenges you.

8)

HB (original poster)
Admin

#13: Post by HB (original poster) »

Nick wrote:If you're gonna go around challenging people, then show up when someone then challenges you.
Sorry, I'm not following you. Did I miss an invitation to your place, or are you referring to something else? I'm all for friendly competitions, although to compete individually against someone like yourself or someone on your crew, I would need a handicap to avoid a truly embarrassing routing. As Daryn can attest (and he never misses an opportunity to point out), speed is a real issue for me.

Another idea... combining your suggestion that judges complete a mock competition before certification (link) and the amateur competitors we're discussing here, I propose an individual format with six drinks / 15 minutes in addition to the tag-team format I mentioned earlier. I know it's not the same challenge facing professional competitors, but my motivation is promoting interest in barista competitions and making them more accessible to a larger audience. Pro-Am competitions can serve this purpose, even if held informally among friends at a sponsoring cafe simply for the fun of it.
Dan Kehn

malachi

#14: Post by malachi »

four judges.
each one orders a drink. can be specific (cappuccino) or directive (short drink, with milk; something cold and sweet; please showcase the nut flavours in your espresso blend).
time limit.
What's in the cup is what matters.

lino

#15: Post by lino »

Great Idea!

However I would make it 8 drinks total, 1 espresso, one choice. I would think the emphasis should remain on pure espresso than risk getting "diluted" by testing the baristas ability to froth and mix milk.

Serve the judges individually, instead of in batch mode also. Or in pairs (optionally) if two baristas are teaming.

Give judges a "menu" as well to put bounds on the orders.

ciao

lino "I'll take a venti green tea frappucino with whip..."

Nick

#16: Post by Nick »

HB wrote:Sorry, I'm not following you. Did I miss an invitation to your place, or are you referring to something else? I'm all for friendly competitions, although to compete individually against someone like yourself or someone on your crew, I would need a handicap to avoid a truly embarrassing routing. As Daryn can attest (and he never misses an opportunity to point out), speed is a real issue for me.
There would only need to be a handicap if,
a) you were definitely going to be "routed," and
b) you were definitely going to be "truly embarassed" if you were "routed."

Otherwise, being a recreational golfer, I'd love to play a head-to-head with a PGA golfer. Would they kick my ass? They'd better! But no shame in that... I'd love it just for the experience. That being said, I have no problems with a handicap. :wink:
HB wrote:Another idea... combining your suggestion that judges complete a mock competition before certification (link) and the amateur competitors we're discussing here, I propose an individual format with six drinks / 15 minutes in addition to the tag-team format I mentioned earlier. I know it's not the same challenge facing professional competitors, but my motivation is promoting interest in barista competitions and making them more accessible to a larger audience. Pro-Am competitions can serve this purpose, even if held informally among friends at a sponsoring cafe simply for the fun of it.
"Pro-Am" barista competitions might make sense if there was an established amateur competition, or, as in many Pro-Am competitions in the sports world, the amateur competitors paid a substantial entry fee to make it a charity fund-raiser event or something like that. Either way, if you're interested... make it happen!

HB (original poster)
Admin

#17: Post by HB (original poster) »

Nick wrote:Would they kick my ass? They'd better! But no shame in that... I'd love it just for the experience.
I agree!

The idea started with a little one-upsmanship between Daryn and I, coupled with my observation that there's a fairly long lull between the last performance of the barista competition finals and the announcements. So why not fill the time with an exhibition event (sorry, I'm not into "Coffee Flair")? Arranging it at the SERBC shouldn't be a problem since the guys at Counter Culture Coffee love the idea. The USBC is trickier, but who knows, maybe Michelle Campbell will come around.

In the interim, I will propose some local mock competitions as part of our regular CCC Friday espresso lab. Have you considered a similar sort of informal event at Murky Coffee? Truth be told, the competition aspect is secondary to me, it's really about having fun with a little formal structure tossed in.
Dan Kehn

Abe Carmeli
Team HB

#18: Post by Abe Carmeli »

Dan,

What's the latest on this pissing contest? Is it going to happen before my children graduate from college, or perhaps foreplay is all you guys can handle?
Abe Carmeli

HB (original poster)
Admin

#19: Post by HB (original poster) »

Hey, what happened to the guy who told me offline how relaxed and happy he was after two weeks at the beach? Has the tan faded already?

To your question, I'm looking forward to a little play time with the pros. An exhibition at the USBC would be my first choice, but another possibility would be the Counter Culture Coffee training facililty in Charlotte. There's not a lot of space for spectators though. If we could get a good turnout among HB's lead baristas, we could bill it as a Team HB versus CCC event. Interested?
Dan Kehn

Abe Carmeli
Team HB

#20: Post by Abe Carmeli »

HB wrote:Hey, what happened to the guy who told me offline how relaxed and happy he was after two weeks at the beach?
He went back to the beach & left me here. And you asking me why I'm pissed???
To your question, I'm looking forward to a little play time with the pros. An exhibition at the USBC would be my first choice, but another possibility would be the Counter Culture Coffee training facililty in Charlotte. There's not a lot of space for spectators though. If we could get a good turnout among HB's lead baristas, we could bill it as a Team HB versus CCC event. Interested?
I'm planning to be in Charlotte for SCAA 2006, and I'm speculating that at the very least Chris would want to make it there too. So, plan on the USBC and you'll have your team HB.
Abe Carmeli