The twelve espressos that I must try?

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
Moka 1 Cup

#1: Post by Moka 1 Cup » Mar 19, 2019, 3:31 pm

Long story:

After my intervention in this topic, Am I too old and cranky for third wave coffee?, about my only experiences with a "fancy" coffee, I made a couple of considerations.

The first one is that it is not that I do not like Hologram at all. In fact I like it with milk, as a base for a fantastic cappuccino.
The second one is that in a parallel world, the one of cigars and pipe tobacco, I have always enjoyed trying new blends, even those that were not actually what I would smoke every day. Liking something is one thing, appreciating something, even if you do not like it, is a different one. A blend with Latakia may be a masterpiece even if I do not really like Latakia, and in fact I have smoked many that are real masterpieces. I think I can appreciate quality even if don't want to "enjoy" it every day.

Few hours ago I went out and paid a visit to a local coffee shop, one that carries Counter Culture coffee. I saw that Hologram was on the menu and ordered a double shot.

Well, I still cannot say I like it but I may understand why a lot of people do. It's an interesting blend (of flavors). To me, the citric/acid notes are too pronounced, aggressive. But once they are gone the aftertaste is very nice and smooth. You want to take another sip.

So why not trying some other "fancy" coffee? I have a good espresso machine. I have two grinders. I can dedicate one grinder to the comfort blend, the Italian espresso I like and that I am going to continue to drink every day, while at the same time I can try something new by using the other grinder. Periodically, each month a new coffee, maybe. I can drink it both straight and with milk, most probably as a cortado other than a cappuccino.

The problem is: what to try?

Short story:

May I ask members with thirty seconds of spare times to post one or two of their favorites :) ? The ones you really think I must try.
Hopefully something that can be easily ordered online, from a US source?
four minutes to make an espresso? really?

LBIespresso

#2: Post by LBIespresso » Mar 19, 2019, 5:14 pm

While there are many more than 2 I would suggest, I will throw out 2 that are from the same roaster to make it easier. I only chose these 2 because they are the 2 I have enjoyed the most in the last month.

Barrington Coffee ( https://barringtoncoffee.com/ ) Free shipping on your first order if you subscribe to their email list too!

Dos Socios - While the brightness of this might hit you upfront (since you are not used to it) this is one of the sweetest espressos I have ever had. Take the time to dial it in. Well worth it.

Geshe Botto - I like this better then Leam Hammer from Dragonfly (although I highly recommend that as well!). The floral and spice notes of a traditional Ethiopian coffee really hit the spot with a nice chocolate finish.

I am really looking forward to the suggestions of others. Thanks for starting this thread!
LMWDP #580

Moka 1 Cup

#3: Post by Moka 1 Cup » Mar 19, 2019, 8:00 pm

LBIespresso wrote:Dos Socios - While the brightness of this might hit you upfront (since you are not used to it) this is one of the sweetest espressos I have ever had. Take the time to dial it in. Well worth it.
.... and Dos Socios it is. Order placed. Thanks a lot, for the free shipping tip as well.

However next time I need to remember not to read the descriptions. Dry floral aroma with flavors of blueberry sounds a little scary :mrgreen: .
four minutes to make an espresso? really?

yakster
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by yakster » Mar 19, 2019, 8:11 pm

Chromatic Coffee's Gamut Espresso is my go-to.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

Moxiechef
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by Moxiechef » Mar 19, 2019, 8:16 pm

The Dolce Blend at Espresso Vivace is about as anti-3rd-wave as you can get but it was one of the richest, sweetest and most syrupy shots I've ever had. It is beyond ristretto, maybe it should be call super-duper-demi-ristretto!
http://espressovivace.com/

As for "Fancy Coffee", George Howell seems to hit the nail on the head for me most of the time. Pick one that sounds good to you. https://store.georgehowellcoffee.com/co ... o-coffees/

tumendoza

#6: Post by tumendoza » Mar 19, 2019, 9:04 pm

I currently use Toby's estate Bedford blend and it is fantastic. Give it a try.

https://tobysestate.com/product/bedford/

Iowa_Boy

#7: Post by Iowa_Boy » Mar 19, 2019, 9:45 pm

I started this espresso journey liking classic Italian coffee styles. However, I am really enjoying exploring new types of espresso. Variety keeps it interesting!

My current preference is what I am self calling old school/new school coffees. They have as a foundation traditional espresso flavor notes, but combine an element of generally Ethiopion coffee to add a fruity finish. The beauty of them is I can adjust the shot to accentuate or diminish this portion.

The two I would suggest in this area are Slate Under Pressure or George Howell Alchemy. I am sure there are many others in this category.

At the opposite end of the spectrum, I have much less experience. But two I have had which are spectacular. They are Olympia Adisu Kidane or Slate Adisu Kidane. Pourover, brew, or espresso, all have been amazing with these two.

At this point in the journey, the sheer quantity of options out there and the ability to tweak the taste based on mood is what makes it interesting to me. I love the gear technology, but ultimately it's all about what's in the cup that makes this fun.

LBIespresso

#8: Post by LBIespresso » Mar 19, 2019, 10:13 pm

Moka 1 Cup wrote:.... and Dos Socios it is. Order placed. Thanks a lot, for the free shipping tip as well.

However next time I need to remember not to read the descriptions. Dry floral aroma with flavors of blueberry sounds a little scary :mrgreen: .
I hope you enjoy it! Feel free to pm me if you need help getting it dialed in.
LMWDP #580

Intrepid510

#9: Post by Intrepid510 » Mar 20, 2019, 8:17 am

I personally always like Ritual's Sweet Tooth espresso changes often.

https://ritual.myshopify.com/collection ... zio-brasil

Chert
Supporter ♡

#10: Post by Chert » Mar 20, 2019, 11:46 am

I suggest similar to Hoologram, you find a local Stumptown account, try Hairbender there and bring a bag home.

It has changed some over the years and generated its share of polemics, but I think it is a very good espresso blend, that would be described as 'third wave'.