The twelve espressos that I must try? - Page 2

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
shotwell

Postby shotwell » Mar 20, 2019, 1:18 pm

Iowa_Boy wrote:I started this espresso journey liking classic Italian coffee styles. However, I am really enjoying exploring new types of espresso. Variety keeps it interesting!

My current preference is what I am self calling old school/new school coffees. They have as a foundation traditional espresso flavor notes, but combine an element of generally Ethiopion coffee to add a fruity finish. The beauty of them is I can adjust the shot to accentuate or diminish this portion.

The two I would suggest in this area are Slate Under Pressure or George Howell Alchemy. I am sure there are many others in this category.

At the opposite end of the spectrum, I have much less experience. But two I have had which are spectacular. They are Olympia Adisu Kidane or Slate Adisu Kidane. Pourover, brew, or espresso, all have been amazing with these two.

At this point in the journey, the sheer quantity of options out there and the ability to tweak the taste based on mood is what makes it interesting to me. I love the gear technology, but ultimately it's all about what's in the cup that makes this fun.

The Olympia Adisu Kidane is fantastic, but Noble Roasting did a slightly more developed roast of his beans that would probably be a little more approachable for the OP. They're both fantastic and reasonably priced, so I would try both.

Edit: They're both gone. The next crop will probably be the end of the year/very early next.

emradguy

Postby emradguy » Mar 20, 2019, 1:35 pm

Nossa Familia Full Cycle

Chromatic Gamut Espresso

Moka 1 Cup

Postby Moka 1 Cup » Mar 20, 2019, 4:11 pm

LBIespresso wrote:I hope you enjoy it! Feel free to pm me if you need help getting it dialed in.

Thank you.

And thank you all. I am really eager to try at least one for each post.
The initial idea was to try one every month, however I think that I can speed it up a little bit, at least at the beginning :D . As soon as I begin pulling Dos Socios I'll order Gamut.
four minutes to make an espresso? really?

Moka 1 Cup

Postby Moka 1 Cup » Mar 23, 2019, 4:20 pm

Well, I think it's better if I wait few days but refraining from opening the bag it's a hard thing to do. It smells so good :D.

LBIespresso

Postby LBIespresso » Mar 23, 2019, 7:16 pm

Worth waiting. Much easier to pull after it has rested. I hope you enjoy it!
I like coffee. I like coffee people. LMWDP #580

Moka 1 Cup

Postby Moka 1 Cup » Mar 24, 2019, 9:03 pm

Well, I could not wait any more. I opened the bag of Dos Socios, loaded my Lido E and begun grinding :D .

It took me some time to get to what was an acceptable drink, but I think it needs more work. This is the lightest roast I have tried so far.
The best shots were the two at the end, 10sec preinfusion, 40sec total time, 8.5g in, 16g out, at 95C.

From the web site: "Dry floral aroma with flavors of blueberry, sultanas, cotton candy, chocolate covered cherries and a spice note of cumin. Rounded acidity and silky smooth mouthfeel."
I get the floral notes, berries, sweet chocolate and something else I cannot describe. It's not the cotton candy, something like a spice. Definitely (rounded?) acidity. A little on the astringent side. Interesting that contrary to Hologram I like it more as an espresso than with milk.

LBIespresso

Postby LBIespresso » replying to Moka 1 Cup » Mar 25, 2019, 8:41 am

I am happy you are enjoying it. It will definitely get better over the next few days even up to a week. Be sure to try it as an americano too!
I like coffee. I like coffee people. LMWDP #580

Moka 1 Cup

Postby Moka 1 Cup » Mar 28, 2019, 10:25 pm

I have really enjoyed Dos Socios. Very reach taste. Interesting enough that at the end I had the best shots by using the Breville Smart Pro instead of the Lido E and with no grind distribution. Just grind, tamp, pull the shot.
Thanks for recommending it.

Now I'm looking forward to trying Gamut, probably tomorrow already.

guydebord

Postby guydebord » Mar 28, 2019, 10:58 pm

Im all in for the 3rd wave light roasts, I suggest you these three espresso blends, they are phenomenal:

Gotham Roasters - Degrees North http://www.gothamroasters.com/store/deg ... 734-by-294
Coffee Collective - Kieni Espresso https://coffeecollective.dk/shop/espres ... -espresso/
Parlor Coffee - Prospect https://parlorcoffee.com/collections/al ... 7493746692
In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Moka 1 Cup

Postby Moka 1 Cup » Mar 30, 2019, 11:24 am

Yesterday I came home very late so this morning it was a late start. What a better way to begin than with a cup of chocolate ....ehm... I meant of Chromatic Gamut?
Pure chocolate. Actually I am wondering why I am drinking coffee. I may just drink chocolate :D .

yakster wrote:Chromatic Coffee's Gamut Espresso is my go-to.

emradguy wrote:...
Chromatic Gamut Espresso

Thanks guys.
I also curious to know how you extract it. Yesterday I played a lot with it but at the end I settled with a low yield close to 1:1 (8.5g +/-0.1 in and 10g out), no preinfusion, 30 seconds total time. 94-96C temperature was what I liked most. First impression is that it may be a good candidate to become my regular early morning cup...