The True Tamper and RDS Distribution Collar (3D Printing)

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
robschwieb

#1: Post by robschwieb »

Hey guys, not sure how many of you have access to a 3D printer but I thought I'd share.

First off, yes, these are roughly based off existing designs for sale on the market right now. Not claiming to have come up with the original ideas myself. I merely adapted them to 3D printable form and added a few tweaks of my own.

The True Tamper - Download Link
Image Gallery

RDS Distribution Collar - Download Link
Image Gallery

If anyone prints them, please let me know how they turn out. If you have any problems or suggestions, let me know!

Thanks,
Rob

Gpinch1

#2: Post by Gpinch1 »

Hi Rob,

Are these 58mm or 49mm?

I don't have access to a 3D printer but would love a set of these in 49mm to play with.

Greg

Headala

#3: Post by Headala »

Hi, Rob, thanks for posting these. I use the same baskets as you, but know nothing about 3D printing. Can I get these done at one of the local places, or do I need to have them done from somewhere like Shapeways? What was the approx. cost? I'm guessing $35 each, but don't know what material or resolution is required. Thanks!

ebola5114

#4: Post by ebola5114 »

Hi Rob, thanks for share! The best thing Ive seen for a while, great job! I've a 3D printer so I will be print it as soon as I can !!!

robschwieb (original poster)

#5: Post by robschwieb (original poster) »

Gpinch1 wrote:Hi Rob,

Are these 58mm or 49mm?

I don't have access to a 3D printer but would love a set of these in 49mm to play with.

Greg
Hey Greg, sorry it took a bit to get back with you. These are designed around 58mm baskets. That being said, the could easily be scaled to 49mm.
Headala wrote:Hi, Rob, thanks for posting these. I use the same baskets as you, but know nothing about 3D printing. Can I get these done at one of the local places, or do I need to have them done from somewhere like Shapeways? What was the approx. cost? I'm guessing $35 each, but don't know what material or resolution is required. Thanks!
You could try one of your local places but it would probably take a few times of printing, testing fitment, and adjusting the scaling. There are so many variables that affect the printed parts dimensional accuracy. Especially if it's a public printer at a library or college. Shapeways is an option, although a pricey one compared to the public printer route. As for the material, I just used standard ABS with a layer resolution of 0.2mm. Hope this helps!
ebola5114 wrote:Hi Rob, thanks for share! The best thing Ive seen for a while, great job! I've a 3D printer so I will be print it as soon as I can !!!
Can't wait to see how they work out for you!

bwstahnke

#6: Post by bwstahnke »

I have had some 3d printing done locally for me recently along these same lines. Here is one particular design I have been using the most and has shown the most promise. The concept is there but needs refining. It was the closest thing I could find to the S.A. Shot Collar until Rob's design.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1611828

Rob, I just submitted an order to have your Distribution Collar printed locally. I think it is on point and will give it a go. I will post feedback when I have it! Thanks for designing this! It's easier to justify a low cost of something like this for experimentation, rather than to spend close to $100 on the S.A. Shot Collar.

danetrainer

#7: Post by danetrainer »

If anyone scales the rds distribution collar for 49mm and plans to print one out, I would like to give one a try, feel free to PM me.

mfortin

#8: Post by mfortin replying to danetrainer »

+1

robschwieb (original poster)

#9: Post by robschwieb (original poster) »

I was going to scale them, but I remembered the distance between basket inner diameter (ID) and portafilter outer diameter (OD) wouldn't translate exactly. I based the existing designs on a 58mm portafilter with an OD of 70mm. Later this week I'll redesign them to fit 49mm setups with a portafilter OD of 60mm.

Once they are done and uploaded I'll let you.

CoffeeBeetle

#10: Post by CoffeeBeetle »

Don't know exactly how difficult it would be, but perhaps you could also design a 51mm version while you're at it? I would love to try this on my post-M Pavoni.