Travel Coffee/Espresso Rigs? - Page 2

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
clc12rock

#11: Post by clc12rock »

Just ordered the Comandante. Looking forward to getting it in! Not sure when I'll get the Flair. Might just go pourover travel setup for a while and then go from there.

clc12rock

#12: Post by clc12rock »

Lol got impatient and went ahead and bought the Flair. Hopefully everything will get in soon. Not sure which kettle to get. This one looks interesting: https://www.amazon.com/Foldable-Electri ... 07TBLMZ5M/

Also considering the Bonavita. I like their products. Might order both and just return whichever one I don't like. Any other suggestions for kettles?

luvmy40

#13: Post by luvmy40 »

That kettle looks interesting! Let us know how it works out if you get it.

I went with the Bonavita Travel kettle but I haven't received it yet. Should be here saturday.

bbobbert3

#14: Post by bbobbert3 »

Kompresso and Lume grinder for me. Lume because I was sick of hand cranking it. Kompresso is essentially a portable lever machine. It makes great espresso and great cold brew (1 minute pre infusion, 1 minute bloom, 30s extraction).

Stephanus

#15: Post by Stephanus »

I have been using a MadebyKnock Feldwood grinder and a Cafflano Kompresso for the last 2 years and 6 months (40+ international trips). The Kompresso does not match the performance or consistency of my Robot and other lever machines but it gets very close and with some darker roasts and careful dosing/preparation I can make espresso that I am happy with.

If the Flair shipped to South Africa I would probably have used one for travel.
Only a surfer knows the feeling

clc12rock

#16: Post by clc12rock »

Just pulled my first shot with the Comandante and Flair. Not a great shot, but not bad for my first pull. Water was coming out of the pressure gauge, so I guess I didn't tighten it enough. I tightened it midshot, but then the gauge was upside down. Need to play with that some more. Shot was also pretty thin, not much crema, but the flavors were there. I assume that's because the pressure was too low. 19g in and I think about 40g out. I had my Lunar on autotare and it tared midshot, so not sure of the exact amount in the cup and not exactly sure how long it took, probably 40 seconds. Took 90 seconds to grind the 19g of coffee using the Comandante. Hopefully I'll get better at grinding and can speed that up. Overall, a great experience though and I know I'll love having this setup with me when I travel. Cleanup was also a breeze. I ordered both of those travel kettles and they should get in tomorrow. I'll report back on which one I like better.

Also, any advice on using the Flair would be much appreciated. If anyone had issues with water coming out of the gauge, let me know what you did to fix it. There was an insert card in the plastic baggie with the gauge that said make sure the threads aren't showing and they weren't when I started pulling the shot, but water still came out.

jgood

#17: Post by jgood »

Another option is the small "3 cup" Moka pot (don't get the bigger pot!!!) -- it's not espresso but it's close, if you grind fine. Pair that with a Bellman steamer and a hand grinder and it's pretty good for a portable setup.

luvmy40

#18: Post by luvmy40 »

Take the gauge out completely and add 1 wrap of Teflon tape to the threads. Or just switch sides with the gauge so you can tighten it up more and still see it?

I have my gauge on the left and it does not leak.

jpender

#19: Post by jpender »

jgood wrote:Another option is the small "3 cup" Moka pot (don't get the bigger pot!!!) -- it's not espresso but it's close, if you grind fine. Pair that with a Bellman steamer and a hand grinder and it's pretty good for a portable setup.
Unless it's a plug-in electric you need a stove. Lots of travel situations don't include a stove. I suppose one could carry a hotplate.

jgood

#20: Post by jgood » replying to jpender »

So true... but assuming no airplane travel a tiny backpacking stove will suffice....