Three plugs, one outlet...

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
Kaffee Bitte

#1: Post by Kaffee Bitte »

I live in a small apartment, which is just right for me but this does have its drawbacks. Where I have my coffee island only has one outlet within reach. I know I can only power one espresso machine and the grinder running safely. But since both machines are La Pavoni's, I can switch them on and off as needed, not a big deal. The problem is I don't trust the power strip I have presently. I also don't have a clue what to look for in a quality power strip. Open to suggestions and not afraid to pay more for something good.
Lynn G.
LMWDP # 110

salvia

#2: Post by salvia »

Hey Lynn,

I have this outlet strip by Shinola that I quite like. It's well made and I think it looks really good (it's also quite expensive): https://www.shinola.com/home/home-offic ... -011046252

If you want something well made but more specific to your needs perhaps look at the myriad of options at industrial supplier McMaster Carr:
https://www.mcmaster.com/outlet-strips/

I also have a nice, heavy duty, 4 outlet strip made from a metal double gang electrical box, two hospital grade outlets, and some heavy gauge wire. This is another option if you're comfortable assembling yourself and don't mind or enjoy the industrial look.

Kaffee Bitte (original poster)

#3: Post by Kaffee Bitte (original poster) »

Thanks! McMaster Been ages since I bought anything from them. Always seem to forget em until a reminder. Perfect timing.
Lynn G.
LMWDP # 110

Pressino
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by Pressino »

The main issue is going to be the ampacity of your outlet. Most domestic US outlets for 120v are rated to carry 15A to 20A. 15A outlets can be fed with 14g copper wire but 20A outlets require 12g wire. The heating elements of your LP's draw around 8A and grinders like the Mazzer Mini and SJ draw from 2.1A to 5A. Dual boiler machines have heating elements that can draw 1600W, which means you'd need a 20A rated outlet to run a grinder along with the machine from the same outlet, and that would be pushing it.

I suppose if you've got a 15A rated outlet you could use a 15A rated power strip for your 3 devices, just so long as you make sure you are operating only one of the coffee machines at a time. Current electric code requires 2 20A small appliance circuits in kitchens, but older homes may have 15A circuits.

#5: Post by Kaffee Bitte (original poster) »

I can't fit my machines in the kitchen. It's tiny. I have my island in the living/dining room. 30 year old apartment so sure the outlet is 15a.

I have been turning one on to heat up. Then flipping it off to turn the other on to heat if I need em both, which makes morning a smidge faster. Not going to run both at once as it will blow the fuse.

Thanks for the info and knowledge
Lynn G.
LMWDP # 110

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#6: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#7: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

Kaffee Bitte wrote:I can't fit my machines in the kitchen. It's tiny. I have my island in the living/dining room. 30 year old apartment so sure the outlet is 15a.

I have been turning one on to heat up. Then flipping it off to turn the other on to heat if I need em both, which makes morning a smidge faster. Not going to run both at once as it will blow the fuse.

Thanks for the info and knowledge
In some states wiring from 1990 would have had to support 20 amp so you could check.
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

#8: Post by Kaffee Bitte (original poster) »

I believe the two outlets in the kitchen are 20a. But there is not enough space for one machine and the grinder there so living room for them. The outlet available isn't the kitchen, it is on the wall in the dining side and definitely not 20a as I already blew the breaker once not paying attention and flipping the second on. Successfully not done that again so far.
Lynn G.
LMWDP # 110

Jeff
Team HB

#9: Post by Jeff »

A 20 A outlet will generally have a T-shaped slot, allowing either a 15 A or 20 A plug to be inserted. If it's the typical two parallel blades and a ground, it is only a 15 A outlet (even if the circuit behind it is 20 A).

The Tripp Lite strips I own have held up well over the years.

#10: Post by Kaffee Bitte (original poster) »

From your description all the outlets are 15a. Which doesn't surprise me. Alabama is a bit slow to catch up.
Lynn G.
LMWDP # 110