Taking an espresso machine on carry-on through TSA?

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
Jasper_8137

#1: Post by Jasper_8137 »

We recently purchased a flat in the UK. I currently have an Olympia Club which is still wired as a 220V machine that I was planning on bringing and keeping there. My plan is to drain the boiler, remove the group and lever, and then take the main body of the machine as carry-on luggage. I'm wondering if anyone has transported a "plug-in" machine as carry-on and if there were issues going through security.
I currently travel with a Flair, Kinu, and Bellman steamer and get pulled out of line at TSA ~ 50% of the time (my family always gives me a hard time about this!) - but have never had any real issues. I don't imagine there will be a problem if the boiler is drained, but would hate to risk having security telling me I couldn't bring the club through.
Thoughts?

TenLayers
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by TenLayers »

Not sure but have you gone through the TSA Precheck process? They do a background check on you and allows different rules to be applied at security gates ie: leaving jackets on, shoes, belts, often not needing to pull out electronics out of bags etc. Not only are lines much shorter but to me it seems they don't scruntize you as much as a non Precheck.

another_jim
Team HB

#3: Post by another_jim »

I used to put my Pavoni in the baggage with a note explaining exactly what it was (they always searched it) -- that worked fine. Carrying it onto the plane would be harder, since you have access to the machine -- if I were a TSA agent, I'd be leery as hell. So you might need to email or message them to find if it will work.
Jim Schulman

HB
Admin

#4: Post by HB »

The TSA are the same people who flag a 6 ounce tube of toothpaste. And you want them to let you onboard with a boiler they cannot inspect except through a small hole? :? You could ask, it might get by. But you could get an agent who isn't familiar with rule nuances and miss your flight. Personally, I'd check it in a pelican case.
Dan Kehn

Jasper_8137 (original poster)

#5: Post by Jasper_8137 (original poster) »

HB wrote:The TSA are the same people who flag a 6 ounce tube of toothpaste. And you want them to let you onboard with a boiler they cannot inspect except through a small hole? :? You could ask, it might get by. But you could get an agent who isn't familiar with rule nuances and miss your flight. Personally, I'd check it in a pelican case.
You are right about trivial items flagged! I would do a pelican case, but the club is a bit larger and may be difficult to pack properly. I did search the TSA website and found a feature where you can search by item. Per TSA, coffee maker/espresso machine can be checked or taken on carry-on.
another_jim wrote:I used to put my Pavoni in the baggage with a note explaining exactly what it was (they always searched it) -- that worked fine. Carrying it onto the plane would be harder, since you have access to the machine -- if I were a TSA agent, I'd be leery as hell. So you might need to email or message them to find if it will work.
Jim, have you ever taken yours on carry-on, or just checked?

another_jim
Team HB

#6: Post by another_jim »

As I said, I didn't even dream of trying that. Let me be more direct -- I urge you to check the machine, and include a note. But it's up to you; you can always carry it on three flights later, after you've been cleared.
Jim Schulman

Jeff
Team HB

#7: Post by Jeff »

The worst is when you can take "item x" on your first leg, then find a different agent "exercises judgment" in a different way along your journey. Pieces of paper are helpful, but may not be sufficient.

Marcelnl

#8: Post by Marcelnl »

I also get pulled about 50% of the 'domestic' US flights I'm doing, it's a pain and the inconsistency is huge...why not simply ship it?
LMWDP #483

HB
Admin

#9: Post by HB »

Another point to consider: If you do carry on and there's no space, your espresso machine will be tossed in baggage at the last minute. Of course, that doesn't happen to first/business class passengers, but the battle for overhead space in economy can get ugly fast. I've given up and only take a small backpack that fits under the seat in front of me for short jaunts or check baggage for longer trips.
Dan Kehn

Gionnibello

#10: Post by Gionnibello »

Hey man, did you have any luck with your espresso machine in the carry-on?
My mum craved espresso while expecting me ... it’s in my genes!!!