Taking an espresso machine on carry-on through TSA? - Page 2

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
DamianWarS

#11: Post by DamianWarS »

Jasper_8137 wrote:We recently purchased a flat in the UK. I currently have an Olympia Club which is still wired as a 220V machine that I was planning on bringing and keeping there. My plan is to drain the boiler, remove the group and lever, and then take the main body of the machine as carry-on luggage. I'm wondering if anyone has transported a "plug-in" machine as carry-on and if there were issues going through security.
I currently travel with a Flair, Kinu, and Bellman steamer and get pulled out of line at TSA ~ 50% of the time (my family always gives me a hard time about this!) - but have never had any real issues. I don't imagine there will be a problem if the boiler is drained, but would hate to risk having security telling me I couldn't bring the club through.
Thoughts?
I have a Decent they come with their own suitcase and form-fitted foam inside. It's too big as a carry on but I've checked it before and haven't had an issue, of course, the idea of losing the baggage is always a risk that you have to consider. I would get a pelican and check the machine if you want to travel with it otherwise do what you're currently doing with flair.

Randy G.

#12: Post by Randy G. »

HB wrote:The TSA are the same people who flag a 6 ounce tube of toothpaste. And you want them to let you onboard with a boiler they cannot inspect except through a small hole? :? .
The plus side is that, after a prolonged 'discussion' with the agent, you could make some new friends during the cavity search! :shock:

And they may not let you put it in the overhead, if there is even room there. And in turbulence, do you want that sitting up there?
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

Advertisement
Jasper_8137 (original poster)

#13: Post by Jasper_8137 (original poster) »

Randy G. wrote:The plus side is that, after a prolonged 'discussion' with the agent, you could make some new friends during the cavity search! :shock:

And they may not let you put it in the overhead, if there is even room there. And in turbulence do you want that sitting up there?
I'm still pondering this. TSA lists Espresso machines as ok to take as carry on. The club is heavy and very stable so not worried about turbulence (I'm more worried about how a luggage handler would treat it). It fits in a large duffel bag without issue and our flight is direct so we only have clear security in Denver.

My plan is to remove the lever and drip tray and put those in my check luggage, then get to the airport early having my ride hang out until I clear security. If I don't, then I will have my ride take it back home, if it clears, it will fit easily in the overhead and I shouldn't have any issues. I'll let everyone know how it goes!

#14: Post by Jasper_8137 (original poster) »

Just wanted to give an update...

I decided to go forward with taking my Club to the UK via carry-on. I removed the group, lever, steam and hot water wands and packed them in my checked luggage. I had my ride wait for me at the airport in case TSA had any issues. The club was packed in a duffel bag. When I got to the security station, I opened my bag showing the TSA agent what was inside, told him it was an espresso machine and that I expected it would get pulled for inspection, and asked if he wanted me to remove it. He said it was fine in my bag and told the agent that was running the bag X-ray machine what was coming - they didn't even blink. No inspection whatsoever. To be honest, I had more issues bringing my Flair through TSA a few months ago.
I was worried when boarding the plane that I would get questioned about the size of my carry-on, but no issues whatsoever. The Club fit easily in the above seat storage and made the flight flawlessly.
We are now in our flat, and are enjoying the espresso! So in the end, all my worries were unnecessary.

#15: Post by Jasper_8137 (original poster) »

Some pics...

Packed in a "pink duffel" purchased from a thrift store

Our new setup

ShotPull

#16: Post by ShotPull »

These days with the airline's charging extra for everything, it might be better to ship it in advance ... unti you price shipping heavy items! Yikes! I'd say maybe find a good coffee shop at your destination? A small, neighborhood espresso place ... one that doesn't begin with an "S" 8) :lol:

DamianWarS

#17: Post by DamianWarS replying to ShotPull »

there are enough travel-friendly devices out there that still make good shots that would be a lot simpler to travel with and also don't break the bank. the flair pro 2, picopresso and nomad all come to mind. the picopresso is the cheapest and the smallest, you could easily make espresso on the flight if you wanted to with it (or as JH demonstrated on a boat). Unless going for a long time or traveling with a machine for a professional reason I would leave mine at home and take a travel-friendly one instead.