The surprising things you can learn from a user manual

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
RobAnybody

#1: Post by RobAnybody »

Since I'm in the process of preparing an Isomac Itala/Amica
(see also Isomac Itala repair/overhaul, some advice needed )
I also looked up the user manual for this machine which is the kind with multiple languages in one document. In there I found the following paragraph which, to my surprise, was only there in Swedish and German:

Which roughly translates as follows:
Important information about the manometer for the pump pressure during coffee preparation !!!
The pressure gauge primarily has an optical function and no technical function for the espresso machine.
It indicates that there is pressure in the coffee brewing process, and it helps to assess whether the grind of the coffee used is optimal.
If it shows a pressure of approx. 4-6 bar, this is an indication for a too coarse grind or for too little coffee grounds in the portafilter.
When pressure builds up to approx. 13-15 bar either the grind is set too fine or there is too much coffee grounds in the portafilter. The optimal pump pressure on the coffee powder is approx. 9-10 bar.
The manufacturer's specification of 15 bar pump pressure refers to the maximum power that the built-in pump can achieve, for coffee preparation this pressure would be too high.
Note: The manometers used in the machine do not always show the pump pressure very precisely. The machine would also function without a manometer.
The best way to assess the correct grind and the amount of coffee grounds is still the speed at which coffee flows out of the brew group.
If the coffee runs very quickly and forms little or no crema, it is an indication that the grind is too coarse or the amount of coffee grounds used is too little.
Conversely, this means: if the coffee runs very slowly and the crema burned (dark brown), the grind is set too fine or there was too much coffee grounds used. In the case of a household machine, the delivery time for one espresso take approx. 10-20 seconds depending on the coffee used.
Another reason for the lack of cream formation could be the use of too old pre-ground coffee.
The best quality can only be achieved with freshly ground coffee from a suitable espresso grinder. Also you should always use a high quality espresso roast.
Now for the big question, why is this only provided in Swedish and German?
Are they most likely to read the manual if the machine doesn't function as expected?

I'm curious about your thoughts on this
Cheers!
Rob
LMWDP #647

Randy G.

#2: Post by Randy G. »

I created a visual example of that on pages 42 through 45 of the Vibiemme Domobar double owners manual. Extremes are fun to disccuss unless you are the one cleaning the machine, the counter, and the lens (see page 43) :lol: .
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

Marcelnl

#3: Post by Marcelnl »

The Italians do not need a manual, they invented espresso so they know
The French do not need a manual, they are better at everything food related anyway
The English do not need a manual, they drink tea
The Dutch don't need a manual as we know it better and will do things different than described simply because we can
The Germans need a manual, they read it pünktlich before use and will contact the manufacturer about grammatical errors and inconsistencies found
The Swedes need a manual because they need to see if there are known risks to human health or the environment associated with using the machine
LMWDP #483
★ Helpful

RobAnybody (original poster)

#4: Post by RobAnybody (original poster) »

Randy G. wrote:I created a visual example of that on pages 42 through 45 of the Vibiemme Domobar double owners manual. Extremes are fun to disccuss unless you are the one cleaning the machine, the counter, and the lens (see page 43) :lol: .
Wow :shock: that owners manual goes beyond its title and straight into textbook! I wish my machine came with a guide like that!
Luckily these machines have a pressure relieve valve so you didn't have to make a photo of a portafilter sneeze! :D
The Dutch don't need a manual as we know it better and wil do things different than described simply because we can
I must have a mixed ancestry somewhere, I do tend to read the manual and after that think of "better" ways to do things.
But then again, I started out from making things go boom and then checking the manual to see what went wrong exactly, so I would consider that progress.

Cheers!
Rob
LMWDP #647

stefano65
Sponsor

#5: Post by stefano65 »

Marcelnl wrote:The Italians do not need a manual, they invented Espresso so they know
Correction
first we try 2-3-4-5 times on our own
THEN eventually and reluctantly we start opening the manual, then we cannot find the page and we go back to try another 6-7-8-9 times.

Randy knows Italian manuals suck
Stefano Cremonesi
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repairs & sales from Oregon.

emradguy
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by emradguy »

Marcelnl wrote:The Italians do not need a manual, they invented espresso so they know
The French do not need a manual, they are better at everything food related anyway
The Dutch don't need a manual as we know it better and will do things different than described simply because we can
The Germans need a manual, they read it pünktlich before use and will contact the manufacturer about grammatical errors and inconsistencies found
The Swedes need a manual because they need to see if there are known risks to human health or the environment associated with using the machine

Hilarious! Thanks for the chuckle.
LMWDP #748

Randy G.

#7: Post by Randy G. »

stefano65 wrote:Randy knows Italian manuals suck
8)
Your cultural background allows you to say that. Cultural sensitivity only allows me to say my manuals are better.
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

emradguy
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by emradguy »

RobAnybody wrote:Wow :shock: that owners manual goes beyond its title and straight into textbook! I wish my machine came with a guide like that!
Textbook, yeah, for sure. I think most of the content in Randy's Vibiemme DB manual is applicable to pretty much any E61 DB machine. I've said for years, I consider it "required reading" for an E61 DB machine owner.
LMWDP #748

guijan12

#9: Post by guijan12 »

Marcelnl wrote:The Italians do not need a manual, they invented espresso so they know

:D :lol: I'm an exception (sometimes) :mrgreen:
Regards,

Guido