Southeast Regional Barista Competition 2006 - Page 2

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
HB
Admin

#11: Post by HB »

Ryan Studley, Java Passenger - Signature drink served first; they were cooled down with dry ice while he prepared the other drink. Couldn't sleep one night and thought of it. Filled pitcher with dry ice and water to produce "Halloween effect" (a second pitcher was added to act as a double boiler). He found through experimentation that direct contact with dry ice changed the flavors too much. Raspberries and blackberries. Cups were rimmed with mint by rubbing the leaves along the interior. Blended the espresso so that it served well when cool. Instructed the judges to crush the berries into the espresso to release their flavors.

(end of competition for today)
Dan Kehn

Compass Coffee

#12: Post by Compass Coffee »

Thanks Dan! I'm hoping to qualify for judging at the Northwest RBC next month, don't know if my form was submitted in time, haven't heard back yet. Regardless whether judging or volunteering or just watching, looking forward to it!
Mike McGinness

another_jim
Team HB

#13: Post by another_jim »

Wow! The specialty drink section sounds like an "iron barista" competition: "and your secret ingrdient is ... sweetened condensed milk."

Should make the judging a bit easier; since the specialties are easier to compare.
Jim Schulman

Nick

#14: Post by Nick »

Just to help Dan in his valiant effort :wink:
  • Nicholas Cho, Murky Coffee - cold drink, Espresso Laranja. Served signature drink first. Added shots to cocktail shaker, served tableside. Sweetened condensed milk very small quantity w/essence of blood orange. Add cold espresso from shaker. Layering espresso, Vanilla ice cream melted in cream whipper and small spoon, stir 10 seconds. Nick commented that the brightness interacts nicely with vanilla and orange extract. First set was with custom blend, second (cappuccino) set was La Forza. Final set (straight espresso) was custom blend.
Nick
wreckingballcoffee.com
nickcho.com

HB
Admin

#15: Post by HB »

Thanks Nick for the corrections! By the way, I'm looking for a stand-in live blogger while I'm judging tomorrow afternoon, if you're interested. This time around I'm keeping the reporting short and sweet, just the signature drinks.

On other news: At the end of the session, Peter showed an excerpt of a documentary DVD of last year's SERBC competition. Lots of interviews interspersed with competition footage. I plan to buy one and write a short review. Peter is also following up on a postable excerpt. It's rare to see such a professional production as last year and it's great to see it available in an edited form. Last year they had two cameramen and a great color; unfortunately, this year they have fixed position webcams with grainy black and white images.

Tonight Abe arrived from New York and we had dinner with Bob Roseman and his wife Libby, Kevin Krautwald and his wife Diana, and Bob Barraza. Wonderful Greek food at Xios, located in the same shopping center as Pheasant Creek Coffee. The topics at dinner included coffee, politics, food, and brief chats on uber-geeky topics like relating the Richter scale, relatively humidity, and redneck evaluations of how hot it is outside (OK, you had to be there).
Compass Coffee wrote:Thanks Dan! I'm hoping to qualify for judging at the Northwest RBC next month, don't know if my form was submitted in time, haven't heard back yet.
When in doubt, call Michelle Campbell. She's easy to get on the phone, but slow to respond to e-mails. The final list of judges isn't actually decided until after the workshop, so there's rarely a "too late" problem. That said, there were more judge volunteers this year than competitors at the SERBC and several judges had only one flight.
Dan Kehn

Nick

#16: Post by Nick »

HB wrote:Tonight Abe arrived from New York and we had dinner with Bob Roseman and his wife Libby, Kevin Krautwald and his wife Diana, and Bob Barraza. Wonderful Greek food at Xios, located in the same shopping center as Pheasant Creek Coffee.
Sounds nice. Would have joined you folks, but I was driving back home to DC.

Long story.

See you on Sunday.
Nick
wreckingballcoffee.com
nickcho.com

HB
Admin

#17: Post by HB »

Kyle Mueller, Talia Espresso - "Cup of Sweetness" is a breve with half-n-half and sourwood honey. Served in tall thin glasses with cinnamon. The half-n-half, being thicker, requires a little more steaming. Too much though and the top texture suffers. Before pouring, gave the mixture of espresso, honey, and cinnamon a quick stir.
Dan Kehn

HB
Admin

#18: Post by HB »

Ben Jaques, Cup-A-Joe - "Espresso Mojito" (*) was inspired at a wedding with all the drinks going by -- it doesn't have any alcohol. Ben likes Americanos, but some have a lingering bitterness. Served in tumblers over ice with orange wedge as a summer drink. Balance the bitterness from icing espresso with ingredients of cane juice, water, and mint. Instructed judges to rub orange around rim, take in scent of the mint, then drink.

(*) Rum with citrus and spearmint; thanks Bob for the spelling and definition.
Dan Kehn

HB
Admin

#19: Post by HB »

Lemuel Butler, Daily Grind Cafe - "Vanilla Bean Dream." Blend is Brazil, Sumatra, and PNG. Added vanilla will bring out vanilla notes and complements PNG's spiciness. Heavy crema and vanilla bean are whipped to a thick consistency in bowl. Served warm at ~110F. Half teaspoon of sugar brulee with torch to form a crust. Carmel from the sugars complements caramel notes from the Lintong. Poured espresso through the crust. Instructed judge to stir 2-3 times to release the caramel, added sweetness.

Lem was the third barista to serve his signature drink first in the competition.
Dan Kehn

HB
Admin

#20: Post by HB »

Ryan Goodrow, Murky Coffee - Signature drink called "Best of Both Worlds." Gelato on the bottom of a small stemmed glass. Slightly cool drink, easy to make. Added some "strangled liquid" after the espresso (sorry, I didn't understand specifics of his commentary).
Dan Kehn