So I Bought A Bravo Tamper

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
hangint3n

#1: Post by hangint3n »

I don't know what I was thinking. I never spend so much money on an accessory before. The duty alone was $41.40. So if you have the tamper please tell me I didn't make a mistake. It should be here in a few days. I bought mine directly from the creator in Brazil, which made it cheaper than buying here in Canada.

https://wholelattelove.ca/products/brav ... le-58-5-mm
https://www.bravocoffee.com.br/f608hwwu ... reto-total

Ypuh

#2: Post by Ypuh »

I like mine. Would probably purchase it again if I had to pick. Would I've preferred it to be half the price? Sure, that goes for pretty much everything I buy from coffee equipment to a house or furniture (usually I find half the price still too expensive).

What else is there to say? It's a tamper, won't change the world.
I don't want a Decent

cafeIKE

#3: Post by cafeIKE »

If your prep if off, no tamper will help.

If your prep is good, any close diameter flat tamper is good enough.

Jeff
Team HB

#4: Post by Jeff »

The Bravo is my go-to tamper and it is also greatly appreciated by those with limited dexterity and/or strength.

If you decide you don't enjoy it for some reason, they seem to sell very quickly at close to original cost. I missed out on one earlier this week, sold by a US east-coaster and snagged before I woke up.

salvia

#5: Post by salvia »

I went in with my brother and we ordered two directly from Gilberto, to save a bit on shipping.
I agree that pretty much any tamper will do the job, but the Bravo is beautifully made and I appreciate the self-leveling.
It's expensive for sure, but I think the price is quite fair for a low volume product. Gilberto was a pleasure to communicate with and I'm happy to support his obvious passion.

kidloco

#6: Post by kidloco »

Ordered it directly from Gilberto with a bunch of people, never regretted it.

NelisB

#7: Post by NelisB »

It's great. The levelling is perfect. You can't beat that perfect with a normal tamper. Also the spring force a great help for a constant puck prep.

Iowa_Boy

#8: Post by Iowa_Boy »

I have been thinking of ordering one. Is coffee sticking to the base of the tamper an issue?
I have a Decent tamper, and it frequently is an issue (I don't have the latest version, which is supposed to be better).
Are most people getting the 58.4 mm?

Quester

#9: Post by Quester »

Iowa_Boy wrote:I have a Decent tamper, and it frequently is an issue (I don't have the latest version, which is supposed to be better).
I have a Decent v2 and v4 tamper (two different locations). The v2 used to have the coffee sticking issue. Trying putting it on a small towel instead of the rubber base. When you are ready to tamp, rotate (rub) the tamper on the towel a couple times before lifting it. This completely solved the issue for me.

DamianWarS

#10: Post by DamianWarS »

hangint3n wrote:I don't know what I was thinking. I never spend so much money on an accessory before. The duty alone was $41.40. So if you have the tamper please tell me I didn't make a mistake. It should be here in a few days. I bought mine directly from the creator in Brazil, which made it cheaper than buying here in Canada.

https://wholelattelove.ca/products/brav ... le-58-5-mm
https://www.bravocoffee.com.br/f608hwwu ... reto-total
I'm not familiar with that tamper but any self-leveling 58.5mm tamper is going to make you're tamping more consistent. it's nice to not have to worry about the tamp factor anymore. I didn't think I cared until I got one and then you realize how satisfying tamping becomes.