Smart outlet used for espresso machine melted - Page 2

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#11: Post by JohnB. »

Haskens wrote: No AFCI protection, my house was built in the 60s...
You can still change the breaker. An espresso machine should be on a circuit protected by a gfci or one of the af/gf combo breakers.
LMWDP 267

Nunas
Supporter ♡

#12: Post by Nunas »

^^^ +1 Not just that, but I would consider it essential. The only issue might be in a really old house with 2-wire service (no safety ground).

BaristaBoy E61

#13: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

I would suggest caution regarding AFCI in that any power switch or any mechanical switching 120v might trip this type of breaker. Would not be a problem with solid-state relays.
GFCI - YES, I would use one.
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#14: Post by JohnB. replying to BaristaBoy E61 »

I haven't experienced any issues using the combination AFCI/GFCI breakers. One circuit has 2 storage freezers & some lights on it.
LMWDP 267

ira
Team HB

#15: Post by ira »

I tried putting AFCI and GFI breakers in my condo when I replaced the panel, but if it's wired with shared neutrals like they did in the past, they will not work in the panel.

Ira

BaristaBoy E61

#16: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

JohnB. wrote:I haven't experienced any issues using the combination AFCI/GFCI breakers. One circuit has 2 storage freezers & some lights on it.
This was advice given by our Master Electrician during a renovation regarding the use of an AFCI in a bathroom, as electric razors and the like would cause havoc with this type of breaker.

YMMV

slybarman

#17: Post by slybarman »

Nunas wrote:I have been told that stabbing provides a more reliable connection, as the female parts are springy, whereas the conductor under the screw can migrate over time. .
Everything I have read had suggested the opposite - backstabbing bad.

BaristaBoy E61

#18: Post by BaristaBoy E61 replying to slybarman »

+1

Backstabbing to me provides less surface area contact; how can that be good?

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#19: Post by JohnB. »

ira wrote:I tried putting AFCI and GFI breakers in my condo when I replaced the panel, but if it's wired with shared neutrals like they did in the past, they will not work in the panel.

Ira
I have the plug on neutral combo breakers in a new sub panel that is feed from a 10 year old main panel that uses conventional & GFCI breakers.
LMWDP 267

ira
Team HB

#20: Post by ira »

If you use 2 breakers and a 4 wire connection to two outlets, one on each phase with a common neutral, you can not use a GFI or ACFI breaker on either of those as the neutral will commonly carry less current than either phase. In that case the safety circuits in the breakers will trigger.

Ira