Silicone mat under grinder so quiet.

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
Kaffee Bitte

#1: Post by Kaffee Bitte »

I am very surprised this silicone mat has made such a difference in noise level. It seems about half as loud as it was. Obviously my island was quite a good echo chamber. Now it's just the sound of the burrs grinding. So nice! Was expecting much less difference.

It's nice for keeping the grinder from torquing off to one side too.

Two birds one stone for cheap is a great upgrade.
Lynn G.
LMWDP # 110

Marcelnl
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by Marcelnl »

ikea sells some nice sound proofing silicone mats, I'm using them for years now

https://www.ikea.com/nl/nl/p/sandviva-p ... -40471814/
LMWDP #483

BaristaBoy E61

#3: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

I would just caution that the silicone mat does not interfere with the air flow through the grinder.
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

Capuchin Monk

#4: Post by Capuchin Monk »

Kaffee Bitte wrote:I am very surprised this silicone mat has made such a difference in noise level. It seems about half as loud as it was. Obviously my island was quite a good echo chamber. Now it's just the sound of the burrs grinding. So nice! Was expecting much less difference.

I don't know your grinder but some do have louder motor noise. When physically decoupled from the counter, it would reduce the resonant noise level. However, the coffee bean grinding noise is still a challenge.

Kaffee Bitte (original poster)

#5: Post by Kaffee Bitte (original poster) »

My grinder is an old Macap mc4. I just checked beneath and there is plenty of clearance for the few air holes in the bottom. The mat is about 3 or 4 mm thick and the grinder feet aren't compressing it. Should be good

A big chunk of the sound was definitely transfer from the motor through the legs. Motor sounds still there but greatly lessened. To my ears it went from "conversation stopper" to " hey I can sort of still hear you". That's a big improvement for entertaining guests
Lynn G.
LMWDP # 110

Shakespeare
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by Shakespeare »

Kaffee Bitte wrote:I am very surprised this silicone mat has made such a difference in noise level. It seems about half as loud as it was. Obviously my island was quite a good echo chamber. Now it's just the sound of the burrs grinding. So nice! Was expecting much less difference.

Great! Idea! Thanks Kaffee.