Silicone mat under grinder so quiet.

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
Kaffee Bitte

#1: Post by Kaffee Bitte »

I am very surprised this silicone mat has made such a difference in noise level. It seems about half as loud as it was. Obviously my island was quite a good echo chamber. Now it's just the sound of the burrs grinding. So nice! Was expecting much less difference.

It's nice for keeping the grinder from torquing off to one side too.

Two birds one stone for cheap is a great upgrade.
Lynn G.
LMWDP # 110

Marcelnl

#2: Post by Marcelnl »

ikea sells some nice sound proofing silicone mats, I'm using them for years now

https://www.ikea.com/nl/nl/p/sandviva-p ... -40471814/
LMWDP #483

BaristaBoy E61

#3: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

I would just caution that the silicone mat does not interfere with the air flow through the grinder.
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

Capuchin Monk

#4: Post by Capuchin Monk »

Kaffee Bitte wrote:I am very surprised this silicone mat has made such a difference in noise level. It seems about half as loud as it was. Obviously my island was quite a good echo chamber. Now it's just the sound of the burrs grinding. So nice! Was expecting much less difference.

I don't know your grinder but some do have louder motor noise. When physically decoupled from the counter, it would reduce the resonant noise level. However, the coffee bean grinding noise is still a challenge.

Kaffee Bitte (original poster)

#5: Post by Kaffee Bitte (original poster) »

My grinder is an old Macap mc4. I just checked beneath and there is plenty of clearance for the few air holes in the bottom. The mat is about 3 or 4 mm thick and the grinder feet aren't compressing it. Should be good

A big chunk of the sound was definitely transfer from the motor through the legs. Motor sounds still there but greatly lessened. To my ears it went from "conversation stopper" to " hey I can sort of still hear you". That's a big improvement for entertaining guests
Lynn G.
LMWDP # 110

Shakespeare
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by Shakespeare »

Kaffee Bitte wrote:I am very surprised this silicone mat has made such a difference in noise level. It seems about half as loud as it was. Obviously my island was quite a good echo chamber. Now it's just the sound of the burrs grinding. So nice! Was expecting much less difference.

Great! Idea! Thanks Kaffee.

MCal2003

#7: Post by MCal2003 »

+1 for the silicone mat. For decades had the Mazzer, then Macap sitting on glass cutting boards. Loud grinders. Replaced the Macap with a NicheZero. Significantly quieter grinder. Then replaced the glass cutting boards with silicone dish drying mat. Even more quiet.
LMWDP #151

#8: Post by Kaffee Bitte (original poster) »

Day to day use, I don't really mind the loud grinder. She produces wonderful grinds, if she needs to scream a little, well so do I sometimes. I only find it annoying when it kills all conversation with guests.

Still loving the mat. Aside from clean up, which is not so good. A good bit more involved
Lynn G.
LMWDP # 110

Chert

#9: Post by Chert »

suggestion: cut the mat to size of grinder base. Or would that diminish the noise reduction?
LMWDP #198

#10: Post by Kaffee Bitte (original poster) »

Not a bad idea. I bought the mat as a 2 pack so if cutting it to a smaller size does increase the noise I could just put the other down.

I think I am going to wait a bit though since I just pulled the trigger on a conical to pair with my flat. I want to see how they both fit best before going to wild.
Lynn G.
LMWDP # 110