Show Your Tampers/Portafilters/Knockboxes: All things wood, all things handmade

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
TomC
Team HB

#1: Post by TomC »

I didn't find a thread dedicated to exactly this, outside the show your home setup thread. If this catches on and doesn't appear redundant, we can have this as a thread dedicated to showcasing fine woodworking and items associated with our coffee gear; namely, tampers,portafilter handles, stands,knockboxes,etc..

I'll delete the excess wording above later to keep it simple. Here's a few of the ones I own (*made by Cannonfodder). Looking forward to seeing others.

My Desert Ironwood Portafilter Handle

Same wood in the tamper
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

the_trystero

#2: Post by the_trystero »

Beautiful! Especially the tamper.
"A screaming comes across the sky..." - Thomas Pynchon

dustin360

#3: Post by dustin360 »

Nice Tom, sweet portafilter!

godlyone

#4: Post by godlyone »

Portafilter looks fantastic!

Was it hard to get the hole exactly centered since the LM portafilter is not straight?

da gino

#5: Post by da gino »

Hey Tom, great work.

By the way, there was a thread along these lines a few years back, but it never really caught on with lots of photos. In any event here it is...

Gallery of User Turned Wooden Handles

TomC (original poster)
Team HB

#6: Post by TomC (original poster) »

godlyone wrote:Portafilter looks fantastic!

Was it hard to get the hole exactly centered since the LM portafilter is not straight?
I have no idea. I didn't build it myself. I just wanted to have a gallery of photos primarily, to show the various accessories that go along with our coffee habit, primarily the wooden type. Both of these items happened to be made by Cannonfodder. I can only take credit for the photo's and there isn't much to claim there yet. :)

As to the offset of the handle, it makes for a perfect fit,IMO to the brewhead. The palmswell of the handle is something I don't really want to let go of, in the morning, standing in front of my machine... It's one of very few functional objects of beauty and art I've ever experienced, and that's not exaggerating. I asked for a slightly more rounded butt end, just out of aesthetic desire more than anything else.

TomC (original poster)
Team HB

#7: Post by TomC (original poster) »

da gino wrote:Hey Tom, great work.

By the way, there was a thread along these lines a few years back, but it never really caught on with lots of photos. In any event here it is...

Gallery of User Turned Wooden Handles

Thanks for the link. It was a hard one to search specifically for. I didn't want to clog up the forum with something that was already around, but I couldn't find anything using multiple search queries.

I'd rather see this as a photo sharing thread only, and if it does pick up, I'll edit and delete all extra text besides the materials descriptions. I know there's thousands of beautiful examples of various makers works out there. This would be a great place to share them all.

espressme

#8: Post by espressme »

"Cleo" Done in Cocobolo no finish other than walnut oil. Over four years of faithful service. Could be the threaded stainless steel inserts in all the woodwork. :wink:

Cheers
~Richard
richard penney LMWDP #090,

espressme

#9: Post by espressme »

Another riff on a Cremina theme in Ebony, walnut oil finish; again stainless steel inserts.

Respectfully
~Richard
richard penney LMWDP #090,

kitt

#10: Post by kitt »

here's a couple of mine, first is a faema replica bumpy handle in mahogany, second is p/f handle and tamper in Matai.