Should you brush your teeth before or after drinking coffee? - Page 2

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#11: Post by JohnB. »

I brush with a mixture of baking soda & salt every morning so it doesn't affect the taste of my first shot.
LMWDP 267

Marcelnl

#12: Post by Marcelnl »

best part is that the brush does the heavy lifting, while to paste adds little more than a fresh taste...
LMWDP #483

jpender

#13: Post by jpender »

Have you ever gone without toothpaste for an extended period of time? Try it.

Marcelnl

#14: Post by Marcelnl replying to jpender »

?
LMWDP #483

boren (original poster)

#15: Post by boren (original poster) »

Update: I bought Oranurse Unflavoured toothpaste from Amazon and my initial impression is that it does what I need. My coffee (and breakfast) taste right. I'm not sure I can vouch for how effective it is as a toothpaste compared to the typical minty variety, and it definitely doesn't give the "fresh" mouthfeel you get with those. For now however, coffee is important enough for me to take this tradeoff.

Jonk

#16: Post by Jonk »

Thanks a lot, Oren!

Oranurse is not available in my country, but I found a local alternative by searching for unflavoured toothpaste. Unlike a couple other 'SLS free' alternatives I have tried after reading old threads on the subject, unflavoured does the trick!

The one I found shares the same basic ingredients as Oranurse, minus the preservatives and colouring. It does however add TSP (that's the stuff in Cafiza! :lol:). Sold by the government pharmacy, known for strict testing before selling products.. So I guess it's all good :wink:

If anything, the coffee tastes better straight after brushing now!
Glacier21 wrote:Somewhere someone is developing $18/tube toothpaste that enhances morning espresso.
In my case $4.32 for 75ml. Not cheap, but not too bad.
JohnB. wrote:I brush with a mixture of baking soda & salt every morning so it doesn't affect the taste of my first shot.
I wanted to try this, but was a little concerned about potential damage to enamel and it's so salty and tingly :P

For those looking for a local toothpaste, this seems to be the common list of coffee friendly ingredients:
Sorbitol, glycerine, gum and aqua (water) for moisture and texture. Some kind of flouride, xylitol for healthy teeth. Lastly, hydrated silica in small amounts for plaque removal. No SLS, no flavourings.

Note that rinsing with water or drinking coffee after brushing negates some of the benefit of flouride, so in the end it's still better to wait a while or drink before brushing..

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#17: Post by JohnB. »

Jonk wrote: I wanted to try this, but was a little concerned about potential damage to enamel and it's so salty and tingly :P
The baking soda/salt mix is only as salty as you make it. Used it off & on for 40+ years with no damaged enamel yet.
LMWDP 267