Shipping & delivery delays are worse than ever!

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
bluesman

#1: Post by bluesman »

We have a subscription for 5 pounds of Paradise Nuevo every 4 weeks. Our second December shipment hasn't arrived yet, and USPS tracking now says it'll be late (duh!). I've had to buy a few 12 oz bags of beans locally that are weeks post roast, just to keep coffee in our cups. The first time I did that months ago, our shipment was delivered the next day - so I froze most of the local bag for an emergency. That stash was used up long ago, and we've had the same dilemma several times since.

I'm seriously considering buying green beans and roasting them myself. But we now live in an apartment, so I can't just stick a roaster in the basement, vent it through the extra chimney flue, and go to town. I guess I'm limited to a popcorn popper or similar jury rigged approach.

The alternative is to buy the best local beans I can get. When I used to do that, I found that the bags on the shelves at the roasters' own outlets were usually weeks past roast date. Worse, we haven't found a local bean that we love as much as Nuevo or others we have to order from across the country. And even worse, local shipping is apparently as problematic as distance delivery, so even ordering from LaColombe (who ship subscription beans within a day or 2 of roasting) means being at the mercy of the post office or shipper. Mail that had to travel 2 or 3 miles to reach us has taken as long as 2 weeks over the last few months.

How are you all dealing with this?

jpender

#2: Post by jpender »

Maybe it's regional. I live further away from the roaster than you do but I ordered from Paradise recently and the coffee arrived two days after roasting. Over the holidays it took three days. I just had a cup of Nuevo a few minutes ago. Good stuff!

BPlus: turning your coffee spirit
Sponsored by BPlus
Jeff
Team HB

#3: Post by Jeff »

Yes, shipping delays are pretty bad right now.

"Time to switch to light roasts that need 15-30 days before they're ready" :wink:

On a more practical note, you might want to consider keeping "a shipment-delay ahead" and freezing the beans in their original bag, valve taped shut, perhaps in a mason jar or other physical protection. Even when I was getting beans from Verve in pre-COVID, non-holiday times, less than 50 miles away, there would be that occasional shipment that took a week rather than a day to deliver.

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#4: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

Have you called Paradise and asked if they would consider a UPS shipment.
CarefreeBuzzBuzz
___
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

bluesman (original poster)

#5: Post by bluesman (original poster) » replying to CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

Their defaults are the various USPS services. They'll use other options at customers' request and expense, but the cost of "expedited shipping" is astonishing - and there's no assurance of predictable delivery times with any shipper right now. I have to find a better solution and will resort to buying local if I can find fresh beans on a regular basis, even though it won't be our favorite.

Now that we're in an apartment, we only have one refrig/freezer - and we've kept it truly stuffed since Covid came to town. I put each 5 lb delivery into a dozen 8 oz Ball freezer jars for which we have just enough space on the shelf in the freezer. My wife manages to fill the space left as we use up the jars of beans, so we have to defrost whatever she put there as soon as our next shipment arrives and eat it soon after. In retirement mode, she can't stand seeing that space go unused :D

jgood

#6: Post by jgood »

I had one postal shipment delayed from Caffe Lusso (Washington State to California). I emailed them and they offered to replace and send UPS -- I responded "Let's give it one more day" and USPS came through. I appreciated the offer a lot though! Otherwise USPS has been OK.

IamOiman

#7: Post by IamOiman »

This is pretty wild to read about. No joke, but DHL Express quite literally yeets my coffee from Italy to my doorstep in less than two days (43 hours this past time) and hearing multiple weeks delay for shipping in CONUS is whack. I sympathize with USPS and the shenanigans they have been dealing with on top of the holiday rush.

I keep a stash in the freezer for long term storage and usage. I always will keep at least one kg so I have some leeway in my coffee getting here without interrupting my coffee routine.
-Ryan
Using a spice grinder violates the Geneva Convention
LMWDP #612

Espresso Vision: the perfect cup of coffee starts with understanding your roast
Sponsored by Espresso Vision
lancealot

#8: Post by lancealot »

I'm on the east coast. If I have something coming via USPS Priority from this side of the Mississippi / continental divide, I can expect a few days delay - standard. If I have something coming from the west coast, I can expect more than a week delay - sometimes 2 weeks. It is really sad what has become of the postal service, in such short time. I say sad, but honestly, I am angry about it.

I have been trying to find roasters that will ship with other carriers. I put up a post about it a few weeks ago. I either ship via another carrier, or try to buy local-ish. It has helped that my machine is in for warranty work and I am drinking drip.

slybarman

#9: Post by slybarman »

jgood wrote:I had one postal shipment delayed from Caffe Lusso (Washington State to California). I emailed them and they offered to replace and send UPS -- I responded "Let's give it one more day" and USPS came through. I appreciated the offer a lot though! Otherwise USPS has been OK.
Same - delayed USPS shipments from Lusso, but their customer service is top notch and they have always made good on any issue. They deserve repeat business.

bluesman (original poster)

#10: Post by bluesman (original poster) » replying to slybarman »

It's not the roasters' fault and we need to support them through this terrible time for all of us. But on a brighter note.......

Look what just arrived!