Scales and design - Page 6

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
wojtowip
Supporter ♡

#51: Post by wojtowip »

OK, finally made some progress. It's not pretty, but at least it's a proof of concept and I can order some smaller electronics and make the code a bit more stable :).

I'm using the cheap 5kg load cell I had, created a lower profile platform for it. It's not as stable as I would like. Ideally I would mount it directly to the CT2, but I'm not exactly ready to drill holes in it yet. The whole thing is about 18.7mm tall and I had to slide it in in two pieces. The final load cells will be much smaller. I would like to get a more ridged base and platform, but don't have a way to mill stainless steel, so will need to find maybe one thicker sheet of acrylic instead of two glued together. We'll see.

So here it is inside:

Here is an overview with the display:

And here it is with the drip tray in place:

Testing scale with water (sorry about the vertical video, it's late :))
Testing scale with 100g weight:
LMWDP #694

DamianWarS
Supporter ♡

#52: Post by DamianWarS »

Espressoman007 wrote:Hey,

Perhaps there is an answer or discussion on the forum about it, if there is, send me a link. If not, perhaps someone has the answer - why are all coffee/jewelry scales made to be used with AA or AAA batteries, and not with button batteries. I don't know if every kitchen scale is thinner than a coffee scale because of that, but most familiar to me are.

Is there a reason for that or... what?

There are not many espresso machines, levers, that have a gap that small between the base and group/portafilter, but there are some that need the thinnest scale there is. Strietman for example. And what's more interesting is that kitchen scales (unlike coffee scales) are manufactured to measure heavier things.

Thanks!
Cheers!
there probably is not much demand for such tiny scales and as mentioned if you need and want to pay the premium Acaia has a 13mm scale. I have the Lunar and it's a 15.5mm scale and to some a 2.5mm may make all the difference but I would think the Lunar would be a better option as it is a much "smarter" scale and has more options to weigh/time and designed for espresso. For a cheap option there's this generic scale that can be super cheap. I bought 100 of them for less than $5 each and gave them out at an event. I've had it for years and it still works great. I don't know the exact height and there's conflicting information, the amazon link says 0.6 inch and 3/4 an inch. Various ones have different features like accuracy or that one had usb charging. But if is 0.6 inches then it's the same height as the lunar otherwise its 19mm high. if it's still too snug you can try using little shot glasses over cermic cups to keep it as minimal as possible.

Other solutions can be 3D printing a drip tray with a place for your scale to sit in (or buy a custom made one) or if the machine has high enough legs use the scale under the machine and have some sort of "C" shape stand that allows the cup to sit on top while putting pressure on the scale under the machine (another 3D printed option) this option is best if the stand can firming be attached to the scale so it could mean gluing it on. Here's an example of one