RIP Piero Bambi - La Marzocco

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
TomC
Team HB

#1: Post by TomC »

Sadly, Piero Bambi of La Marzocco passed yesterday. There isn't a lot of media/news about it. But his life was extraordinary.

Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

HB
Admin

#2: Post by HB »

Indeed! Below is a copy of the press release.
La Marzocco wrote:Florence, 22 March, 2020 - Florence | March 2020 - La Marzocco, the historical Tuscan manufacturer of espresso coffee machines, grieves its Honorary President, Piero Bambi, who passed away in the early hours of March 22nd at the age of 86 in Florence, Italy.

Son of the founder, Giuseppe, Piero Bambi has been part of the company's history throughout his own life, driven by his great passion for coffee, beautiful mechanics, craftsmanship and design.

His love for espresso, and the technical expertise that he inherited from his father led him to achieving significant technological innovations in an aim for the best result in the cup.

While deeply tied to Italian tradition and ingenuity, Piero was open to any culture that could instill new concepts concerning espresso coffee, a beverage which he considered to be magical.

Intuitive and generous, he embraced the value of cultural and generational diversity, creating a deep bond with the global community as well as with his "skilled workers", his master craftsmen. Although he sold the majority of the company in 1994, as Honorary President he continued to work every day, with steadfastness and devotion towards the projects and the daily life of the company.

Today, La Marzocco is grieving and is near Giovanna Bambi and the entire family. Details of the memorial service commemorating Piero will be shared in a future communication.

"I would like to say farewell to our eternal friend Piero, our mentor and the ultimate example of a keen commitment and passion for life, with a quote by a poet from my native land: Even the great deeds of great men come to an end, an end inscribed within their own vital spirit, and long prepared, even when it seems sudden. - Piero Chiara

... Thank you, Piero, we will miss you." - Guido Bernardinelli

"For more than 40 years Piero Bambi has been my friend, my inspiration, my mentor, my partner and my teacher. Not only about espresso coffee machines and 'caffè espresso' but also life and culture. His contributions to the world of espresso coffee and to the lives of so many people will be remembered and appreciated. He will be missed but not forgotten. Thank you, Piero, for the gift of your spirit and the legacy that you have left for all of us to enjoy." - Kent Bakke

You can learn a technique, but you develop passion only through dedication, love, pride and respect for your work. - Piero Bambi
Dan Kehn

DeGaulle

#3: Post by DeGaulle »

In 2014, while on vacation in Tuscany, my wife and I visited the La Marzocco facility near Florence. During the 90 minute tour we were shown a.o. a few prototypes of the Linea Mini, which I think was introduced a mere 6 months later. What stuck with me was the loving and respectful way that our host Silvia spoke about Mr. Bambi, who reportedly came to the facility daily still.
Bert

Headala

#4: Post by Headala »

Wow, what a loss. It's disappointing that this isn't covered in the media (USA, maybe it is covered in Europe?). He had a huge impact on the industry. Thanks for posting this TomC

AZWolf

#5: Post by AZWolf »

So sad to hear this.

I had the good fortune to meet him last May while visiting the factory. He made me some espresso on his custom machine. He proudly told me of his modifications and although his english was pretty good (my Italian is so-so) I didn't follow all of it. Nonetheless it was awesome to meet and talk with him.

This is a photo I shot of him at the time.

Joel