Recommended to freeze coffee beans in airtight canisters? - Page 3

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
Fisher

#21: Post by Fisher » Jun 09, 2019, 6:54 pm

Why not grind frozen beans right away, before they come to room temperature? Doesn't that solve potential humidity problems?

aecletec

#22: Post by aecletec » Jun 09, 2019, 8:05 pm

Grinding right away works for me, at least.

jpender

#23: Post by jpender » Jun 09, 2019, 9:23 pm

Fisher wrote:Why not grind frozen beans right away, before they come to room temperature? Doesn't that solve potential humidity problems?
The perceived problem is with the beans still in the container, not the ones about to be used.

emradguy
Supporter ♡

#24: Post by emradguy » Jun 11, 2019, 10:15 am

Balthazar_B wrote:The happy medium is to break down that 5 lbs into 8 oz Ball jars and freeze them. It'll require about 14 of them, and they store very efficiently in a freezer. That's what many of us here do, and it's a good, solid solution.
I'm curious how on earth you get 5# into only 14 8oz jars? I've been buying 5# bags and breaking them down into 16oz jars for years and it takes 11 of them. The 16oz jars hold about 200g, and the 8oz jars hold about 100g beans. There are almost 2300g of beans in a 5# bag.

Anyhow, I agree that breaking the bag down into Ball canning jars, which you then freeze, works very well. When I do it, I hold the lid down with a finger and then smack the side of the jar over and over to settle the beans so I can eliminate as much of the dead space as possible, and then add more until that no longer works. It's a little painstaking, but it allows me to get probably a full extra shot in there after the jar is seemingly full. I used to place the bands on loosely to allow degassing overnight drive out all of the retained air from filling the jars, but I've found that doesn't make a difference, so now, once they're really full, I crank down the bands and stick the jars in the freezer. At the end of your coffee day, check the amount of beans left in the jar you're using and take one out of the freezer, if needed, so it can thaw overnight.

You should figure out your consumption pattern to decide which size jars are right for you. I typically pull 3-4 19g shots in a day, so the 16oz jars give me about 3 days worth.

Balthazar_B

#25: Post by Balthazar_B » Jun 11, 2019, 5:05 pm

emradguy wrote:I'm curious how on earth you get 5# into only 14 8oz jars? I've been buying 5# bags and breaking them down into 16oz jars for years and it takes 11 of them. The 16oz jars hold about 200g, and the 8oz jars hold about 100g beans. There are almost 2300g of beans in a 5# bag.
Good catch...I mistyped! :oops:

Something I've started doing is to measure out a multiple of the doses I pull for a shot of a given coffee. So for instance, right now I have some Scarlet City Warp Drive that I dose at 18g doubles (and 9 oz singles), so each jar of it I've frozen contains 144g (taking it up to the brim...you must be using some small VERY heavy beans to squeeze 200g into a 16 oz jar!), which is enough for 8 doubles (or a clean combo of singles/doubles). It varies by coffee, depending on the optimal combo of weight/grind/basket, but seems to work well and sustains the illusion that I'm well-organized. :P
- John

LMWDP # 577

jpender

#26: Post by jpender » Jun 11, 2019, 10:17 pm

Balthazar_B wrote:...you must be using some small VERY heavy beans to squeeze 200g into a 16 oz jar!
That doesn't seem that crazy to me. I measured a 16oz canning jar to be 478ml. I put 190g of a run-of-the-mill Central American medium roasted bean in it. I didn't have to do anything special. That works out to 0.40g/ml. If I fit 200g it would be 0.42g/ml. Some of the lighter roasted Ethiopean coffees I've measured had packing densities of about 0.50g/ml and should fit 240g in a 16oz jar. Bouncing the jar on the countertop would help a little too.

emradguy
Supporter ♡

#27: Post by emradguy » Jun 12, 2019, 12:56 am

I almost always buy a medium roast blend when I restock for my espresso fix. My go to beans are Nossa Familia Full Cycle and Chromatic Gamut. About every third or fourth batch I rotate in 2-4 pounds of something like Dragonfly E. Crema Dolce, Greenway Scrimshaw, George Howell's Alchemy, Spyhouse Orion, Barefoot Redcab...or something new to my house. I've got some Kuma on the way right now. Though I've had their roasts several times when visiting Fort Lauderdale (Yoni uses them a lot at Grind Coffee Project), I've never bought their beans before. I'm grinding my blends on the Niche and also keeping some smaller batches of s.o. beans around too, which I run through my Major.