Really necessary to toss espresso after backflushing?

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
chanty 77

#1: Post by chanty 77 »

Is it necessary to make an espress (just to dump it) after backflushing? Reason I ask, is I flush a lot of water through the group head, even steam wand after cleaning, so why waste precious beans? Thanks.

DaveB

#2: Post by DaveB »

chanty 77 wrote:Is it necessary to put coffee through your espresso machine after backflushing? Reason I ask, is I flush a lot of water through the group head, even steam wand after cleaning, so why waste precious beans? Thanks.
It's only necessary to put coffee through my espresso machine in the morning when I wake up. :D

Seriously though, backflush away and call it a day.
Von meinem iPhone gesendet

Jeff
Team HB

#3: Post by Jeff »

Just to make sure this isn't misinterpreted in the future, one should never run liquid coffee though a machine instead of water.

DaveB

#4: Post by DaveB replying to Jeff »

I think perhaps I should have written that I put coffee through my portafilter. Definitely not through the machine!

lancealot

#5: Post by lancealot »

Making sure I understand:

You backflush your machine. Then you make a coffee. Then you toss the coffee. And now the machine is ready to go.
Did I get that right?
If so, then no, you don't need to do that.
Just backflush your machine.

If you backflush your machine with detergent, then you will want to do a few clean water backflushes to make sure the detergent is gone. Now you are ready to make delicious coffee that you do not need to throw away.
:D
★ Helpful

chanty 77 (original poster)

#6: Post by chanty 77 (original poster) »

Directions for Cafiza backflushing;
Backflush - Insert blind filter in portafilter and add up to 1/2 teaspoon (3 g) of Cafiza Powder.
Insert portafilter into group head. ...
Repeat 5 times. ...
water from group head. ...
Repeat step (2) without Cafiza Powder 5 times.
Make and discard a cup of espresso to ensure no residue remains.

#7: Post by chanty 77 (original poster) »

Jeff wrote:Just to make sure this isn't misinterpreted in the future, one should never run liquid coffee though a machine instead of water.
Please see my correction of what I was 'trying' to say.....

#8: Post by chanty 77 (original poster) »

lancealot wrote:Making sure I understand:

You backflush your machine. Then you make a coffee. Then you toss the coffee. And now the machine is ready to go.
Did I get that right?
If so, then no, you don't need to do that.
Just backflush your machine.

If you backflush your machine with detergent, then you will want to do a few clean water backflushes to make sure the detergent is gone. Now you are ready to make delicious coffee that you do not need to throw away.
:D
Thank you....YES, that's what I meant. Good, it seemed a waste of beans especially after running the pump with no detergent a number of times.

DaveB

#9: Post by DaveB »

I found the discarding of espresso instruction hard to believe and had to see for myself...

I can't see how this would be necessary, especially after such an extensive water rinse. I only use Cafiza once a month, but still wouldn't waste a shot!

However this advice seems to contradict their video, which strongly implies the post-cleaning shot was consumed:
★ Helpful

Jeff
Team HB

#10: Post by Jeff »

After a back flush with Cafiza I'll scrub the screen with my brush. Then I'll run a series of "clean water" back flushes with a blind basket. I'll typically run water though the group without a PF in place for a while and scrub the screen again with my rinsed-out brush. Last thing I want is Cafiza flavor in my first shot of the next morning!