Really necessary to toss espresso after backflushing? - Page 2

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
dsc106

#11: Post by dsc106 »

James Hoffman (Jimseven) wrote a blog post on this in 2009. I have it printed in his "Best of Jimseven" book, but I could not find it online anymore. The title was seasoning a machine / grouphead (or something to that effect). Here is the only reference I could find on his article.

https://www.baristahustle.com/blog/seas ... -nonsense/

Essentially his theory has no, he was not convinced that you need to and had a compelling breakdown of why. Perhaps you can find his original blog post somehow.

baldheadracing
Supporter ♡

#12: Post by baldheadracing »

dsc106 wrote:James Hoffman (Jimseven) wrote a blog post on this in 2009. ... Perhaps you can find his original blog post somehow.
Not sure why, but the old stuff is hard to find without knowing that the old posts are now on jimseventemp.wordpress.com
https://jimseventemp.wordpress.com/2009 ... e-machine/
What I'm interested in is my worst espresso being fantastic - James Hoffmann

Nate42

#13: Post by Nate42 »

I always thought those directions sounded like a load of crap and never bothered with it personally. And I never had a shot that tasted like detergent.

HB
Admin

#14: Post by HB »

I'll go out on a limb and assert that lawyers were behind this recommendation. :lol:
Dan Kehn

SteveRhinehart

#15: Post by SteveRhinehart »

I'd say it's advisable if you're Cafiza's primary audience: commercial cafes. Having tasted that first shot after an auto-backflush before, I know there's a realistic chance that it has an aftertaste of soap. For that reason I'll always pull one into the drain pan just for some extra assurance than I'm not tainting the flavor with detergent.

At home? Just rinse a bit longer. Taste a drop of water from the group if you want to be sure it isn't soapy.

rktcyntst

#16: Post by rktcyntst »

I've got a bag of old grounds that I'll use post detergent to purge/clean before I put the good beans in. The bag is just a collection of beans gone stale when switching to a new batch