Ready-to-drink cold brews: Next big thing?

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
zeigzagk

#1: Post by zeigzagk »

I'm really curious about the sudden influx of ready-to-drink options in the cold drinks aisle. I'll be the first to admit, I never touched a Frapp or DoubleShot, but seeing cold brews from the likes of Stumptown and Blue Bottle, along with a lot of local options out there gives me hope for the future.

Do you all think that this trend will support quality coffee culture, or will it suffer?

PS: this is my first post, so please take it easy on me!

LukeFlynn

#2: Post by LukeFlynn »

The only bottled cold brew I like is Slingshot. I've tried Stumptown's a few times but always relate the taste to chemicals. Their Nitro cold brew in a can is also lacking, I'm sure it's great on tap, but it tastes super stale from the cans.

Andy

#3: Post by Andy »

I have been tempted a few times. But I always pass after reading the ingredients on the label.

redbone

#4: Post by redbone »

Cold coffee is very dependent on season for me. Current outside temp here is -1c \ 30F a mild February day by our norm. :shock:

A well known Canadian coffee chain cleans up here come summer with Iced Caps. They're chilled using shaved ice. Sweet as all and caffeine laden. I know, sounds like a great sales recipe for the masses.
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

rand

#5: Post by rand »

Fiscally, it's absolutely the next big thing. IRI market research firm did a 1 page on RTD coffees over 52 weeks from 10/2/15 to 10/2/16. Over that year - califia did $20,756,394, "stumptown coffee roasters" did $4,173,657, chameleon did $882,631, "stumptown" did $566,712, Blue Bottle did $446,684

I didn't notice High Brew on that list but they didn't get their funding from CAVU venture in Q2 of 2016, but I expect to see them next year.

Meanwhile, consumer interest in cold brew and nitro cold brew is only rising and RTD options in the grocery store are being marketed as a healthy option to sodas and energy drinks. I think we'll see a lot more growth of cold brew before we see a decline.

BTW, coca cola and dunkin are both getting into RTD cold coffee sales as well----
Product development & Training. Car enthusiast. Roasting every now and then.

Headala

#6: Post by Headala »

I am not a cold brew or nitro lover, but La Colombe's draft stuff in a can really impressed me. It is absolutely what others are saying: a healthy alternative to a can of soda. Well I guess some are. Others are loaded with HFCS and other "bad for you" ingredients. But yes, many have drunk the anti-soda kool-aid (ha) and are embracing alternatives. Never mind that the products with less preservatives are $2-3 per can. :shock:

Ron_L

#7: Post by Ron_L »

My daughter buys Trader Joe's cold brew weekly. I haven't tried it :D She mixes it at about 1:3 with cold water and says it is very good. I've showed her how easy it is to make her own, but she still buys it :shock:
...ron

LMWDP #356