Puck screen thickness - Page 3

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
boren (original poster)

#21: Post by boren (original poster) »

Religion aside, how about filter diameter? Does it allow full coverage of the puck or are the sides exposed?

wkmok1

#22: Post by wkmok1 »

Boren, you bring up an interesting point. Different baskets do vary slighting in inner diameter. A nominally sized screen may leave a bit of the edges exposed. Not sure how much that matters, if one's goal is to blunt the inrush of water. I use Aeropress filters which are much bigger than my basket, so edge coverage is not an issue.
Winston

Pressino

#23: Post by Pressino »

Ursego wrote:My religion allows me to use the paper filters on top of the puck too. :lol:
That's wonderful...and I understand that others have done that as well, but even then they are still called filters and not puck screens 8)

Pressino

#24: Post by Pressino »

boren wrote:@Pressino - are these paper filters not suitable to be used as deposable puck screen replacement (on top of the coffee)? I can see the benefit there, but have no interest in adding a filter below the coffee. I can avoid channeling just fine with proper puck prep and like the amount of fines/body and mouthfeel I'm getting without an extra paper filter. I don't wish to change this.
Of course you can put them on top of the coffee, but in that case, as I mentioned to Ursego, they aren't called puck screens. Metallic puck screens can also be considered filters, but we commonly call them "screens."

Ursego

#25: Post by Ursego »

boren wrote:how about filter diameter? Does it allow full coverage of the puck or are the sides exposed?

Ursego

#26: Post by Ursego »

Pressino wrote:That's wonderful...and I understand that others have done that as well, but even then they are still called filters and not puck screens 8)
The question is what function they perform, not what we call them. When we put the filter on top of the puck, it doesn't filter anything, but only distributes water evenly from the shower before the chamber fills up, and also keeps the shower clean (I bought paper filters for exactly the second purpose). I am by no means saying that these filters are better than metal puck screens, but they are clearly more convenient when making 5-7 espresso cups a day (I would not want to take the puck screen out of the knock box and wash every time).

Pressino

#27: Post by Pressino »

They filter water.

SutterMill

#28: Post by SutterMill »

Ursego wrote: (I would not want to take the puck screen out of the knock box and wash every time).
I keep a cheap paintbrush to clean the portafilter and screen between shots. Its fast. Saves water and time.

boren (original poster)

#29: Post by boren (original poster) »

@Ursego - that looks like a perfect fit. I'm really optimistic now about the prospects of switching from metal to paper.