Puck screen thickness - Page 2

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
boren (original poster)

#11: Post by boren (original poster) »

Can you share a link to the store you buy the paper filters from?

Brien

#12: Post by Brien »

One thing though is a thinner ones are easier to bend too...

Shakespeare
Supporter ♡

#13: Post by Shakespeare »

Ursego wrote:I am happy with espresso paper filters. Bought 1000 pieces for a few bucks. Zero maintenance efforts. :mrgreen:
Are the 58mm papers?
If so, where to purchase them by the thousands?

wkmok1

#14: Post by wkmok1 »

I use Aeropress filters, which are 64mm. They come n packets of 350. Because I have a 51mm basket, this trick may not work with your 58mm basket. I "tamp" a stack of 4 or 5 filters into an empty basket. The paper curls up around the tamper base, and stays preformed afterwards.
Winston

Ursego

#15: Post by Ursego »

Shakespeare wrote:Are the 58mm papers?
If so, where to purchase them by the thousands?
Booom!

gscace

#16: Post by gscace »

Hey there:

A couple of years ago, I was asked by a customer to improve the extraction yield of a particular machine in their product line. The work included a redesign of part of their group, then a study of the effect that some commonly available components had on extraction yield. For the group I was working on, IMS competition filter screens improved extraction yield. I don't think that thickness is as important as even distribution of water and the ability to keep the holes clear.

-Greg
BaristaBob wrote:I don't doubt your conclusions, but do you have any EY data to further support those conclusions? I realize these top screens have not been shown to change EY much, but hope springs eternal.
★ Helpful

BaristaBob

#17: Post by BaristaBob »

Hi Greg,

Totally agree, that's why I changed over to an IMS competition shower screen four years ago on my BDB. I'm still trying to totally understand the top puck screen's utility besides group head cleanliness. I can visualize the flow dynamics across the puck, so it makes sense from that aspect.

Bob
Bob "hello darkness my old friend..I've come to drink you once again"

Pressino
Supporter ♡

#18: Post by Pressino »

Ursego wrote:I am happy with espresso paper filters. Bought 1000 pieces for a few bucks. Zero maintenance efforts. :mrgreen:
Since the OP regards puck screens, I just want to point out that these paper filters (I too bought 1000 of them from Amazon--and they are fantastic) go on the bottom of the filter screen, unlike puck filters which of course go on top of the coffee...

Using both makes a lot of sense and should get you close to what you get from those costly WAFO baskets discussed on another HB thread...

boren (original poster)

#19: Post by boren (original poster) »

@Pressino - are these paper filters not suitable to be used as deposable puck screen replacement (on top of the coffee)? I can see the benefit there, but have no interest in adding a filter below the coffee. I can avoid channeling just fine with proper puck prep and like the amount of fines/body and mouthfeel I'm getting without an extra paper filter. I don't wish to change this.

Ursego

#20: Post by Ursego »

Pressino wrote:these paper filters (I too bought 1000 of them from Amazon--and they are fantastic) go on the bottom of the filter screen, unlike puck filters which of course go on top of the coffee...
My religion allows me to use the paper filters on top of the puck too. :lol: